Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 01-26-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Stressful situation..looking for opinions

- LIVE $20 SNG
- Multi-table tournament
- 1st 50%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%
- Down to 4 players

Me - T5000
Him - T3000
SS1 - T1200
SS2 - T1200

Ok, before I set this up. The guy who is 2nd in chips is a fairly tight agg player. He is not a total maniac. I have on occasion seen him make some very poor plays though (I have played with him many times).

At this point, I am waiting for one or both of the short stacks to go out. I really do not want action from the 2nd chip stack guy.

- Blinds are 50/100
- SS1 is Button
- Him - SB
- Me - BB

Its folded to him in the SB and he just calls. I hold J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and check.

Flop - J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks to me. I have top pair with the open straight flush draw. I consider betting, but check (hoping to induce his bluff on corner).

The corner is a blank and he quickly bets 100. Just what I wanted. I raise 300 (400 total). He thinks for a second, then moves all-in. Whoa, I am shocked at this point. Fearing that he may have the straight I consider folding. But after he counts out and I count, I am tempted to call. I sit and think for quite some time.

If I call and lose he is the clear chip leader and I can only hope for 3rd or 2nd at best. If I call and win I am 1st place for sure. For him to have the straight he would need my nine and if so, I still have outs. If he has QQ, KK or AA I have lots of outs. If he is only on a straight or flush draw, I hold some of his outs, so he is behind to my top pair.

Thinking im ok with 3rd, worst case, I call.

He shows J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

He is not happy that I called and immediately begins bad mouthing me, badly (cussing). Saying I should not have called the other big stack.

River - 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (his two outer)

So he moved all-in on the only person who can take him out of the tourney, with two short stacks on the bubble. All this, with top pair, 3 kick (straight and flush draws obvious).

Ok, clearly I am not happy. I did make a comment to the effect of "That was the worst move I have ever seen". But I did not get anymore nasty then that. He spends the next 5 minutes bad mouthing me for calling him. Thats when I get upset and then we have words. This turns into a real nasty fight and I finally say "enough, lets play poker".

Opinions?

Should I have folded?

Should I have been the better person and not fought back verbally?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Stressful situation..looking for opinions

I think I would have bet the flop in this situation. Yeah, you have the straight flush draw, but if you don't want to tangle with the other big stack like you say, trying to win this with a pot sized bet would do fine.

Bad mouthing you for a poor play AFTER he wins is just poor sportsmanship, and I don't think you should sink to his level.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:25 PM

So your saying it was poor play to call his all-in?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:29 PM

I think making the call was correct. Even if you lose, you still have more than the other two short stacks. And like you said, if you win, you basically lock up first place. Playing the hand as you did, I would have made the call as well, I was just saying that I would have played it differently on the flop.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:33 PM

I think you should have taken charge on the flop. I would have bet out here to take it down. You were correct in calling him. You made the right play. I just think you should have taken control. Anybody who bad mouths like that is an idiot and it tough not to get down to their level. Best I can say is say "nice hand" and move on til you can make him pay.

BTW: Did you kick his a$$ in the fight?

-Gryph
Old 01-26-2005, 03:39 PM

Heh..well there was no physical fighting..though very close. Amazing enough, I have witnesses, he brought up the hand at least two more times before the tournament ended and both times I tried very hard to not let the situation get out of control. He kept insisting I made a bad call.

Honestly, the only reason it didn't go to fists was that I doubled up soon after the hand and wanted to play poker. Because of that, when he kept pushing it later, I kept letting it go and telling him to leave me alone.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Next time he says something tell him you are going to take your winnings and buy a dress for him and some "f**k me" pumps and stick him out on the street corner to make you some real money.

Did you end up winning or were the fates against you?

-Gryph
Old 01-26-2005, 03:51 PM

Why didnt you bring to his attention all the frigin outs you had besides the fact that you had top pair, and put him on a bluff that he got VERY lucky with. If that failed, try mentioning to him that you believed him to be bluffing because of the numerious past times you have seen him play like [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Then call him a a fckin nit who would break his own arm to pat himself on the back. Then ask him if he wears sunglasses when he plays online [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. If he still thinks hes the man, then tell him to lock up a grand and play heads up NL "Until one of yous haz it aalll" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 03:51 PM

As much as this is going to sound like an epside of Tilt.

I doubled up through him while we were still 50/100. After that we each put out a short stack. We played maybe 3 or 4 hands and I know I was just ahead of him stack wise. I raised on the button with 55 (150/300 by this time) to 900. He reraised all-in. I called. He showed 33 (I made a comment about him catching his 3 last time). No drama, game over. I win, he got second.

Justice.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:57 PM

now buy him that dress and pumps...and don't forget a box of rubbers.

-Gryph