Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 AM

Default What does the Avg. Stack Size tell you?

Long time cash player, fairly new to the MTT world. I can't help but wonder how your strategy should change compared to the avg. stack size that is usually listed along with the chip leader? What are you supposed to do if your above it? Below it? Right about even with it? Just wondering if I could get some basic pointers.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: What does the Avg. Stack Size tell you?

It is more important to pay attention to your stack size in relation to the blinds. This will let you know if you are short whereas "average stack size" will only prompt a player to get overzealous b/c s/he "feels" short. Maintaining a stack that has some degree of fold equity (when blinds become a factor) is more important than having an average stack.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:15 AM

I'd say average stack has a big impact on the lower buyin MTTs. $22 and under the players tend to respect a stack that is larger than theirs. They tend to pick on shorter stacks and shy away from large stacks. At the higher buyins I see the better hand putting in the reraise regardless of whether they are short or large.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:57 AM

More important than your stack relative to the avg stack is your stack relative to the others at your table. (This might be less true if you know your table's about to break, but it basically stands.) That and your stack in relation to the size of the blinds, as has already been mentioned.

The mean stack size is probably less useful a statistic than the median stack size, but no site gives you the latter. The closest you'll come is PokerStars telling you where you rank chipwise out of everyone left.

If you see that you're below average, don't get desperate and do something stupid to try to catch up. Just play good, solid poker and the chips'll come. Likewise, if you're ahead and see the average catching up to you don't panic. The average stack size should never dictate your aggression. That you want determined by the other factors I've mentioned, your reads on the players at your table, and your cards.

(As far as how those factors should affect your play, that's what this forum's for. You'll get a feel for it as you go along.)
Old 01-20-2005, 10:57 AM

The average stack size is just a number taken from the total chips in play in a tournament divided by the number of players left. It really has no basis on how you should play.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say average stack has a big impact on the lower buyin MTTs. $22 and under the players tend to respect a stack that is larger than theirs. They tend to pick on shorter stacks and shy away from large stacks. At the higher buyins I see the better hand putting in the reraise regardless of whether they are short or large.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious, do other people agree with this statement? I tend to find it exactly the opposite-in cheaper buy-ins, the big stack seems to get played back at a lot harder than in larger buy-ins, especially after the first break where the blinds are still somewhat moderate.