Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: NYC poker raid?

Just tried 72nd (Players Club - I hadn't known about the raid, obviously) where I was greeted by a cop. I assured him I was not an employee and was on my way. Called Ace Point on e. side and got no answer.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was at 14 when it was raided around 11:00 p.m. Players ID'd and released, employees arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa. that's why i've steered clear for a few months. was it a calm scene or did it get hectic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hectic only for a few seconds when the cops first burst in. I was in the back room, and the first thing I saw and heard was a crowd of 30 people running into the room and someone yelling something about "He's got a gun!" Once I saw it was the police I relaxed instantly, and after that the place was like the waiting room at the DMV.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:27 AM

every employee present was arrested? has 14 ever been raided before?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
every employee present was arrested?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say who was arrested, but the employees and dealers were all in cuffs when I left.

[ QUOTE ]
has 14 ever been raided before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to my knowledge.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:51 AM

It has begun.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:52 AM

F[/i]uck.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:35 AM

Drove by 14 in the late evening (around 12:30) there were about 7 undercover cop cars double parked outside and guys in NYPD jackets standing by the entrance...pooping on the party...
Old 05-27-2005, 08:43 AM

I was playing at 14th st. They searched us, took our photographs, and checked our ID. One player who didn't have ID got arrested. About 20 employees got arrested.

I had $650 on the table. After I was initially searched, I tried stuffing my green chips into my wallet. After 2 hours they started letting people go. They said "If you take chips with you, YOU WILL GET LOCKED UP." So I got rid of the chips. Then they just let me walk out. I could have kept them.

gg playstation.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:44 AM

This Blog details what took place during the Brooklyn raid earlier this year. Everyone got off, all charges were dropped and (oddly) they re-opened again shortly.

What concerns me is described in the article, the police's possession of all computers, and therefore the identification of the players who attend the games. Does anyone from back in the Mayfair/Diamond Club days know if there were any resulting IRS complications for the players?

Sorry for those of you who were at the clubs when it took place, I was planning on heading over to 14th street but my back hurt so I decided to go home instead. First time I've ever considered back pain to be lucky. Brian - I hope this doesn't affect your career in any way shape or form, I am mostly concerned for your well being right now.

RB: it will be one long weekend down in AC [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had $650 on the table. After I was initially searched, I tried stuffing my green chips into my wallet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they make logs of the chips that each player had? I would assume it will be impossible to recover the lost funds. That sucks.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]