Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Folding small blind so you can steal later

When the table folds around and I'm in the small blind, I will often fold not only weak, but marginal hands. Hands that might be favored over a random hand, like Kx or even A-rag. I do it hoping that the big blind will notice now and give me more credit later and let me steal when the blinds are more worthwhile.

I haven't seen this topic discussed much on this forum. Is this a common strategy, or am I just imagining that this works?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Folding small blind so you can steal later

What blind levels are you talking about? And what are the stack sizes...
Old 12-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Early levels, I would never fold a hand for this reason with the big blind higher than 50. But if I fold my $10 and $15 blinds a few times it's easily made up for if you steal even once when the big blind is 300 and were only able to pull it off because of your image.

It's important to note that I only play with starting stack of 1500. I'd imagine for Party players or players at other sites that start with fewer chips this strategy doesn't make as much sense.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:55 PM

Yes, I do this for the reason you describe and because blind wars often escalate unnecessarily at early levels. Easier just to throw it away and move on, particularly with 8 tables going.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 PM

In fact, I love appearing tight/weak (which I am) in the early levels. They then give me credit for my push/steals later on, at least the first two or three, which adds up to 400-700 in stolen blinds before they realize I'm pushing a wide range.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Definitely in level one or two, I wouldn't bother trying to take his blinds. But its rare when its folded to you. Level 3 (BB of 50) I'd think about stealing. Level 4 (BB of 100) I'd definitely steal.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the table folds around and I'm in the small blind, I will often fold not only weak, but marginal hands. Hands that might be favored over a random hand, like Kx or even A-rag. I do it hoping that the big blind will notice now and give me more credit later and let me steal when the blinds are more worthwhile.

I haven't seen this topic discussed much on this forum. Is this a common strategy, or am I just imagining that this works?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the problem (and this has been discussed here before):

Your opponent is probably not paying attention to the fact that you have been tight early.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:00 PM

isn't folding any hand to a random hand (and that's what the BB has as far as we are concerned from the SB) a mathematical error since the SB is getting 3:1 odds on his call ???

i mean the worst hand 27o is only a 65:35 dog to a random hand like Q6o. 27o is only a 67:33 dog vs AKo !!!

isn't folding the SB to the BB heads up a violation of the fundemental theorm ???
Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't folding any hand to a random hand (and that's what the BB has as far as we are concerned from the SB) a mathematical error since the SB is getting 3:1 odds on his call ???

i mean the worst hand 27o is only a 65:35 dog to a random hand like Q6o. 27o is only a 67:33 dog vs AKo !!!

isn't folding the SB to the BB heads up a violation of the fundemental theorm ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken out of context, yes. But you are ignoring the overall unique context that the individual hands of an SNG take place within. If this were a cash game, folding would be an obvious error.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:28 PM

I fold a lot of hands in level 2 and 3 when it's folded to me in SB. I fold plenty in the SB during level 1 too. I'm playing 9 tables and seeing a flop with 82o out of position doesn't sound so appealing to me.

I thought this was standard?

During lvl 1 I'll call with any (suited) connector and any ace and maybe any king.
During lvl 2-4 I'm tighter.

edit: this depends on my stack, bb's stack, number of players remaining and bb's style too though.