Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Fairly Common Situation

10-20 live game.
A fair bit of limping going on.

I have QJo.

Preflop:
2 early limpers, I limp in middle position, theres a couple limpers after me, and both the blinds are with us.

Flop:
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It's checked to me, I bet, the guy acting right after me raises, its folded around to me, I call.

My question now is: This player is way too loose preflop. But thats not the big issue. He still knows somewhat how to play poker, ie, he can raise for a freecard with draws, he can knock people out of pots, etc etc.

What should be my turn plan?

Should I donk-fold a non-spade turn? How about a spade turn? Should I risk the free card and check-call the turn.
Should I have 3bet the flop (even though live games arent as agressive as internet ones) and led the turn?

I'm a bit lost as to whats optimal here.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Fairly Common Situation

Given that it is now HU, he is likey going to bet the turn whether he is on a draw or not. I like check calling this turn. Bet/fold is no good since he can raise a lot of hands you beat (assuming he is aggressive).
Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM

If he is only moderately aggressive, ie not as agressive as a tag such as myself is, what then?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:07 PM

If the villain is looser than you, and he's less aggressive, wouldn't a more aggressive line be better? It makes it easy to fold to resistance if he's somewhat passive. My standard line is to bet/3-bet the flop. If he's passive and I get raised on the turn again, I think it's a fold.

Another question, do you have the J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? That makes a lot of difference.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:25 PM

I like a check/call here because it's somewhat unlikely he's got a lone spade that was raising for a free card considering he shut out the whole field.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:29 AM

Quite often I like to call his raise on the flop, and bet into him on the turn with these types of hand that are pretty strong but not super strong. I'm also assuming you have no spade. I'm more incline to give it up with a spade coming on the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:35 AM

I don't like 3betting the flop as there are many hands which have a spade and would be correct to cap with 14 outs. I prefer the occasional donk-bet line. However, very few opponents these days actually TAKE a free card. They raise for the free card like they are supposed to and then the "semi-bluff" the turn thinking they are playing advanced poker. It is best to know who they rare players who actually take free cards are, and donkbet them appropriately. In answer to your question, all three lines can be optimal dpending on your opponent. Another way of saying that, is that it doens't much matter what you do, all three lines are similar in EV, though some have more variance than others.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 AM

From the other side of things...

I usually take the freecard. Am I wrong to do so? Maybe yes depending on whether my opponent fudges his pot odds and/or bets out middle or bottom pair?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:36 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Bet the turn and fold to a raise. He would likely be raising expecting to be called as you've now been aggressive opening both streets. You're representing top pair and aren't really showing any signs of folding. So his hand would likely be in a 'stronger', made hand range if he raises again. He could just have an A high flush draw with his flop raise.

If you're really not sure if he raises you on the turn, call him down. Don't give a free card on the turn.

b
Old 12-19-2005, 10:48 AM

I think check call is a fairly substantial mistake.

First, if I'm going to play preflop I usually raise here to try to get the button.

Second, given the board and your read I think this is a pretty clear flop 3-bet and turn lead. You're almost certainly ahead and don't want to be giving any free cards. Plus, if he raises the turn I think you can fold pretty safely.