Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-11-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Re: I think I have to quit...(NC)

[ QUOTE ]
you should not play poker, ever again, in any form, other than blind mans bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol. I played that with my friends. It's surprisingly difficult. And involves a surprising amount of thinking and strategy.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:30 AM

you know what else is fun, is to play with 2 jokers in the deck. I played my roommate heads up for $5 doing that and beat him 4 out of 5 games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. When that river is a joker and everyone "catches" it could get nuts like 5 handed.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you should not play poker, ever again, in any form, other than blind mans bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol. I played that with my friends. It's surprisingly difficult. And involves a surprising amount of thinking and strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when you guys have killed a couple 6 packs of heieneken and a quarter.. holla
Old 12-11-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
........yes, I'll have to get use to it if I plan to play poker....

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck whatever you decide to do...

You still will have varience in cash games....

Cheers

Ben
Old 12-11-2005, 08:54 AM

If you truly believe that you are a long-term winner at this game as you say you are, unless you've hit some sort of bankroll problem, you should keep on playing.

If having dominated your opponents in the majority of the hands you busted out with doesn't put a smile on your face after ~2000 games, I don't know what else to say other than:

You might also want to listen to the people who said this game just might not be for you, just a thought.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so like every Saturday the last couple of months (and virtually everyday for that matter), I spent my time playing $20 SNG's. And after tonight, I feel like I have got to quit...go back to cash games.
I can't handle the beats...
After tonight, I have just under 2000 SNG's between the 10's and the 20's. Between the 2 I have a 13% ROI. I am a winning player, although as you can tell, just barely.
However, tonight was just another night where I find myself cursing the computer and slamming my hands against the keyboard.
I played 36 tournies tonight with an ROI of 3.5%. I finished the night with:
1st--1
2nd--6
3rd--9
4th--6
I went through my hand histories and found that in the 21 tournies I was knocked out in 2nd-4th, I had the better hand all in preflop 19 times. In 12 of those, I had my opponent dominated (AAvs.Q4, KKvs85, A6vsA3, AKvsAJ, etc.). Yeah yeah, we all have bad beats.
Almost all of these plays are by the large stack making a move on my from the SB when I'm the BB. I re-raise all in, and they are already priced in and have to call with their junk...and then the BB assuming I'm making a move on them when I have shown nothing but good hands. They call with 85o when they only have me covered by a couple of hundred.

I just don't have the mental ability to overcome night after night of bad beats. I keep thinking that if I go in with the better hand, it will all average out, but I can't wait for it.

Now, bankroll wise, I can handle the swings. I'm not playing at a point where the money is scaring me. It's simply that I get so pissed when they suck out on me...and when I have these days, I just can't stand going all in again, knowing I'm going to have the better hand...and it means nothing.

So, I give up...back to NL50...back to the grind. Was fun while it lasted...well, sometimes.

P.S. yes, I'm a baby...yes, I need to learn about variance...and yes, I'll have to get use to it if I plan to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going through a period like this is detrimental to a long lasting poker career. I call it poker puberty.

Just like real puberty,,, all the little boys that have a little peach fuzz think they are a man...

Dont worry about all of the posters that think you are a moron for being upset about bad beats or streaks. I can think off the top of my head two very respected posters that have posted very similar threads to your own.

Luck extends beyond your own sample size and beyond poker for that matter. You sir have had some bad bad luck. Poker emulates life. Some people are born into wealth, and some people are born in. Some people are born healthy, some people are born addicted to crack. Just like life... No one thinks anyone understands their own situation, and everyone thinks they understand everyones elses situation so well. (still with me?)

In Short...
Life isnt fair, and neither is poker

[ QUOTE ]
In the long run everyone gets the same cards.

[/ QUOTE ] -poker cliche

This isnt true in the least. If you dont believe me compare PT databases. Sure there will be similarities, but...

You dont get the same cards no matter how many you play.
You dont get them in the same order
You dont face teh same opponents
the same flops
the ihsdfkjhgby
ekjbkjb
jhgknktn
you see what I mean
ljhkdjfhbk
dkjfhklh diuk

The main bug up everyones ass is. They were programmed that bad beat posts are puke. They are for the most part.

You are saying to yourself... "This cant be normal" and most people post wanting to fullfill that gap somehow.

Guess what... Its normal [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Are you suffering more then others... could be, maybe, and maybe its just happening at the wrong times for you.

OK I think I could ramble forever. Sorry to step on toes, but there if there is one thing worse then a bad beat post, it is a post complaining about a bad beat post.

For those that hate bad beat posts and want to see them disapear,... Dont read them, dont respond... Think of it like intelligent strategy... By responding all you do is bump it and fuel the fire.
<font color="white"> "We Didnt start the fire... No we didnt light it, but we're trying to fight it..." </font>
Old 12-11-2005, 12:39 PM

I played 50nl almost exclusively and I think the big difference between NL cash games and SNG's are that the swings in NL cash seem more controlable than in SNG's. I mean in SNG's you are so often just throwing your chips intot he middle and racing that it feels almost like some sort of slot machine.

Also I dunno, after like 35k hands of 50nl my biggest downswing (and this is probably just huge blind luck) is 5x the buyin or $250. That is compared to me taking a standrard 20x buyin downswing at the 22's. which is $440.

Perhaps at higher limits the swings get rougher but at the lower limits with donks giving their money away as huge dogs the swings seem to be less if you play good post flop poker.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the long run everyone gets the same cards.
-poker cliche

This isnt true in the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duplicate poker is the wave of the future. Everyone table would play the same deals and players would be ranked by how they do compared to the other players at other tables who hold the same cards.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Short...
Life isnt fair, and neither is poker

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You are saying to yourself... "This cant be normal" and most people post wanting to fullfill that gap somehow.

Guess what... Its normal

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with SS, however:

You may have reached a point where you are sufficiently frustrated that a change is in order. After replacing 2 or 3 keyboards and 3 mice, your level of frustration with the beats may be keeping you from playing as well as you can.

So what's wrong with changing to another form that you are more comfortable with for a while? Play cash games. Play 7 card stud. If you really are a winner it will come out in the end. But don't play when you are putting yourself on tilt. That is self defeating.

Doc
Old 12-11-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you truly believe that you are a long-term winner at this game as you say you are, unless you've hit some sort of bankroll problem, you should keep on playing.

If having dominated your opponents in the majority of the hands you busted out with doesn't put a smile on your face after ~2000 games, I don't know what else to say other than:

You might also want to listen to the people who said this game just might not be for you, just a thought.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really should put a smile on your face, too. You have to learn to evaluate the quality of your decisions without dwelling on the results of those decisions. It can be difficult to do sometimes when the beats come in bunches, but it is awfully damned important if you want to be succesful. Think about the long run. Think about all the times that someone called your top set with middle pair-no kicker and doubled you up. These people who shove all their chips in as a dog over and over are what makes poker so profitable.

You already know all of this.

13% ROI playing half 11s and half 22s is $2.15/sng btw. 8-table these and play 50-100 5 days a week. I know some people who would call that a living.