Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-11-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: I think I have to quit...(NC)

Me and variance is niggas
Old 12-11-2005, 04:32 AM

Well, and this was also part of my point. If I can't handle the swinsgs on a day that I still made a profit...then I clearly have problems with the swings in SNGs.
I don't know...for whatever reason, it just isn't the same. Before trying my hand at SNGs, I played over 30k hands of NL25, and over 10k hands of NL50. I played 8-10 tables. That typically comes out to about 300-450 hands an hour. I rarely ever felt the swings.
In an SNG, you win a hand early and double up...you don't have anything to show for it if you take a terrible beat 10 minutes later when it really matters and you bust out 4th, or when this happens all night and you keep getting 3rd and 2nd and spinning your wheels.
In ring games, when I have 8 tables up and going...I'm busting on some tables but doubling up on others...grinding up and down on some as well...There is immediate reward when I double up...
In an SNG, I can double up early...grind down some, double up again, and still finish 4th place for net loss of $22. In cash games its different, unless of course you are getting some insane action on one paticular table.
Clearly, puting this in the SNG forum is asking for an ass-kicking...but, I do deserve it..I am a baby.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:36 AM

Well, if you say so, good luck then. But the swings ARE worse at nl cash. No arguing that point.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:42 AM

Yeah, I have heard that SNG's are the least, then NL, then Limit. I just have yet to experience it I guess, or when a 2k hand downswing only takes 4 hours, I can live with that. Well, I assume, I haven't experienced anything like that.
Looking at my old graphs I had a 1k hand downswing that was 300bbs (ouch).
Who knows...it all sucks.
You would think someone that plays as much as me could handle this...
Old 12-11-2005, 04:48 AM

"After tonight, I have just under 2000 SNG's between the 10's and the 20's. Between the 2 I have a 13% ROI. I am a winning player, although as you can tell, just barely."

13% is not "just barely".

"and then the BB assuming I'm making a move on them when I have shown nothing but good hands."

1. So you want Q4 to fold when you have aces? My least favorite idiot move in the $22s is the shortstack in the blinds with 1.5 BBs who folds when I've got queens.
2. Winning SNG play involves getting involved with a wide range of hands. 13% ROI player |= person who only shows down good hands. Not that there is any chance the other players remember what happened more than a hand or two ago.

But most importantly, you [censored] made money. I've finished 1st _twice_ in the past 72 SNGs I've played. You think that's 3.5% ROI?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:52 AM

Yeah I totally agree. Im just trying to help the brother out alittle.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:52 AM

Dude I gotta call BS on your 2k games played. Seriously, there's no way that anyone who has played that many games so soundly (13% is solid despite what many players here claim their e-penises to be) would have any issue with showing a PROFIT over a MEANINGLESS number of tourneys. Also, anyone who is unable to cope with the "beat" of, again, showing a profit over a meaningless number of tourneys is, in my mind, incapable of possessing the mindset required to beat this crazy game over 2000 games.

Maybe there's some other [censored] going on in your life that's thrown you off your game, but on balance no winning player would quit over a winning day. Unless you've been riding the sickest heater known to man, which from your impressive, but not so impressive so as not to believe it, ROI is clearly not the case.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:56 AM

Maybe he's just tired.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 AM

I agree with the above that you're maybe not as winning a player as you think if you're willing to QUIT over a winning day. I've only had 2 winning days out of the last 10. After being up about 10k over the last two months of SnG's, I have lost over a grand in the last week and a half. It sucks ass, I posted something whining about it too (which was stupid on my part cause no one wants to hear it)...but if you're willing to QUIT over it...then I don't think you have 2k SnG's with a 13% ROI.

Anyway...good luck with whatever form of higher-variance poker you decide to try.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:25 AM

you should not play poker, ever again, in any form, other than blind mans bluff.