Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-22-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Back to basics checkup... marginal hand/big pot

Villain has PFR of 10 or so over a few hundred hands. I figure he is only raising big PP and AK out of the SB.

I called pre-flop because barring a re-raise, we are going to the flop 5 handed and I only have to call 1. I'm looking to hit the flop hard.

On the flop, I've got a pair and a gut shot. Not exactly as good of a flop as I would like, but I think I can work with it with 10SB already in the pot. I'd like to protect my gutshot from runner-runner spades, and my 2 pair draw from a straight, so I raise. I think this is correct, but want to check.

On the river, I was a wuss. I was worried about QQ and JJ at this point. He probably isn't betting an unimproved ace, so he has AQ (unlikely given the flop 3-bet and pfr), AA, KK, JJ, QQ here. I'm ahead of slightly more than I am behind, but if he 3-bets, I'm probably hosed.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (12 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
Old 11-22-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Back to basics checkup... marginal hand/big pot

The basics are fold preflop.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:33 AM

so the ako/Aks read is money @ the moment, but more then other half of the time i agree with jason t, as in fold any non-sooted cahds in this spot, or JTo+ (is this right?) , recognizing the large pfr #, on the flop good raise, when he 3-bets its either AKspades, KQspades or real aggro QQ or JJ?, turn completes all draws and thank god UTG+1 folds, but our villians' not on a draw, i'm on a check-call down @ the moment, but considering the ways villian could have, its a certain riv 2-pr is good riv raise, facing an AA, KK, and non spd. Aks- you just got made.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, getting 9:1 isn't enough to enter with a decent unsuited connector against a field of limpers and an SB with a clearly defined hand range? Especially since I'm basically closing the action. (Limp re-raises are pretty rare)

Are you objececting to this call because of my poor relative position to the raiser, or would you not make this call under any circumstances?

In any case, suppose my connector was suited. I suspect you would make that call. Now, suppose you flopped like I did, but without a flush draw. How does my line look in that case?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-22-2005, 11:25 AM

raise the river and fold to 3-bet. unlike the others I don't mind the preflop call.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the river and fold to 3-bet. unlike the others I don't mind the preflop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

98o is trashola. But your river advice is good.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:18 PM

just to note: you hit this flop pretty hard considering the thin preflop call. if you're looking for, say, a flopped straight, or two pair, you shouldn't be making this call.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:19 PM

maybe with position
Old 11-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Your preflop call is fine, given 10:1 odds. On the flop you have a 9 out draw against the guy with the big pair, and you could easily have him beat. The only hand that might be debatable is the river, which could be a slim value raise, depending on how predictable he is and if you can fold to a three bet.