Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-21-2005, 01:23 AM

Default ($22) TT in SB vs. BB

***** Hand History for Game 3069771064 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:17593496 Level:6 Blinds(100/200) - Monday, November 21, 00:08:18 EDT 2005
Table Table 66844 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 5: VILLIAN ( $1915 )
Seat 3: HERO ( $2265 )
Seat 9: TRURELIGION ( $1550 )
Seat 1: cjwood2001 ( $1165 )
Seat 7: Prevenger ( $1105 )
Trny:17593496 Level:6
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Td Tc ]
Prevenger folds.
TRURELIGION folds.
cjwood2001 folds.
HERO raises [300].
VILLIAN raises [400].
HERO is all-In.
VILLIAN is all-In.
** Dealing Flop ** [ As, Kd, Qc ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
** Dealing River ** [ 2h ]
VILLIAN shows [ 6d, Ac ] two pairs, aces and twos.
HERO shows [ Td, Tc ] two pairs, tens and twos.
HERO wins 350 chips from side pot #1 with two pairs, tens and twos.
VILLIAN wins 3830 chips from the main pot with two pairs, aces and twos.

==========================

I know I was a favorite preflop and don't care so much about losing the hand -- I just want to know if played it correctly preflop. Should I have called his RR to scan the flop for an A/K/Q? Or should I have just opened with a push?

Villian is very LAG (VPiP: 40%, PFR: 24%, Aggression factor 5.0), so I felt his RR was about a 50% chance of being a resteal attempt. Is this a valid assumption?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: ($22) TT in SB vs. BB

Normally I would say you shouldn't push here. But since you did have a read (an accurate one it turns out) I don't see a problem with it.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:01 PM

Read-aside, i would normally just push it first time. With that high of a pfr i may have made the same play, hoping to extract more chips. To make that play though, I would also have to know that he wouldn't push all in as his re-steal attempt.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 PM

1) You played it right
2) You know you played it right
3) Don't post results
4) Don't post bad beats pretending them to be strategy posts
5) You have 0 of 1 such posts remaining
6) Thread over
Old 11-21-2005, 04:28 PM

When did durron turn into citunal'?

Good show anyway.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When did durron turn into citunal'?

Good show anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was inspired by his "why does the front page of this forum suck" post.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) You played it right
3) Don't post results
6) Thread over

[/ QUOTE ]

Power corrupts...absolute power corrupts absolutely...
Old 11-21-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) You played it right
3) Don't post results
6) Thread over

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Thanks
2) I did not know that, that's why I posted.
3) OK, I won't do that anymore
4) This isn't a bad beat post. I don't think losing to two overcards with TT is a bad beat...it's a coinflip that came up tails.

Why the hostility? I'm a new player, new to the forums, and while I'm studying hard I have a lot to learn. I'm currently a losing player at the $22s (-3% ROI) and am trying to become a winning player. I've learned to tighten up my hand selections (VPiP went from 30% to around 18%), calculate pot odds, not slowplay strong hands in a crowded pot, and a lot of other "beginner" skills.

All that said, I'm still bleeding money and I need help. While I know that 600 SnGs isn't enough to confirm that my negative ROI isn't just variance, as a beginning player I have to assume that part of it is that my play is still weak.

This was NOT an obvious "right move" for me, which is why I brought it up here. If you look at my other posts, a lot of times I'm the winner but still don't feel I played it right, and people pointed out my mistakes.

Getting back to the OP, if I would have called his reraise, I would have bailed after seeing that flop. TT is a good hand, but very likely that villian has an A/K OR Q. So does it make sense to just make sure the flop doesn't have one or those cards (or at least not ALL of them) before I commit the rest of my chips?

Manque's response let me know that my logic wasn't absurd, and dseiko brought up a great point that I should think about what my FE is on the re-re-raise before I push.

Sorry for the long-winded post -- I feel that you misunderstood my intent and wanted to apologize to you and the forum if this came off as a disguised bad-beat post.

And can someone provide a link to a working PP hand converter? http://clark5.net/cgi-bin/hhconverter.cgi messes up whenever there is an all-in bet.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:42 PM

A couple of things. I would have just gone ahead and pushed preflop instead of raising to 400. Villian may have called anyway with A6, which, as you said you're not unhappy about but pushing gives your more ways to win the hand.

TT is a solid favorite against a random hand, so I understand raising to try to get some action for a loose BB, but I think 400 is too small. He's going to read it as nothing but a steal attempt and come after you with almost any hand. If you raise to 600-800, he may call with something like Ax, but he's probably not going to be confident enough in his hand to reraise you before the flop. A continuation bet may even make him fold a better hand on the flop (although, if he's super aggro, he'll probably go all the way with top pair/weak kicker.)

As for how the hand played out. I don't like the push after the reraise. I would rather call and aggressively bet a relatively safe flop (ie. not the one that actually happened).
Old 11-21-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4) This isn't a bad beat post. I don't think losing to two overcards with TT is a bad beat...it's a coinflip that came up tails.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had A6, and thus 1 overcard, thus it was a bad beat as you got the chips in as a 70/30 favorite.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I did not know that, that's why I posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you got the chips in as such a huge favorite, it's pretty likely you played it correctly.

[ QUOTE ]

Why the hostility?

[/ QUOTE ]

See above, my answers to the rest of your post follow logically from the above statement.

[ QUOTE ]

And can someone provide a link to a working PP hand converter? http://clark5.net/cgi-bin/hhconverter.cgi messes up whenever there is an all-in bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone fixed this yet.