Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Default First time I used this line

Folded to LAGgy SB, who opencompletes, I check 64 in the BB

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He bets, I call

Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets, I raise

What do we think?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: First time I used this line

Don't you normally raise ace king type hands PF?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 AM

Just fold the flop.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 AM

Against normal opponents, rather often.
I don't have much experience with LAGs opencompleting their SB.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 AM

whenever i do this i end up feeling like a moron
Old 11-16-2005, 08:46 AM

Wrong spot to get aggressive. He won't give you any credit, since he knows BBs raise so frequently after being completed into, and thus your hand is rather bad. The play looks too suspicious to have enough folding equity to be profitable.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:16 AM

Well hes not going to give u credit for anything. At most it will be a weak Q, or the fact that he might put u on a turned flush draw. Most of the time hes calling here, in which case u will either be checking river or be forced to fire another bullet with the worst hand hoping he folds. While its possible he has trash, its also possible he had a gutshot on the flop or limped with the goods (unlikely).

If I really wanted to put in a raise postflop, I would probably do it on the flop.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 AM

Seems an awful lot like this hand:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=1&fpart=1

Only in my opinion it is even a bit worse, as you are investing far too much in a tiny pot.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:38 AM

i think if you want to make this play you need to raise the flop. the problem here is that while you "know" he hasn't hit that flop, he "knows" you didn't either. i don't know what limit this was, but i run into players who will 3-bet me with nothing on this flop, or donk the turn, or whatever. but if i do find myself against someone who i think will give up if i raise them here, then i like raising the flop instead of the delayed bluff. if the SB has a hand that he's going to fold to the turn raise, he's likely to fold it to a flop raise as well. also, by calling the flop you let him see the turn for "free," and might let him catch something to call you down with if he in fact doesn't have a hand already. or maybe even a backdoor draw of some sorts that he ends up continuing with... it would suck to lose a showdown here to 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. if he does have a hand he's not folding, you'll save a SB by raising the flop (i'd usually give up if called). if he has something like 5x where he plans on calling the flop raise then folding to a turn bet, well that sucks, but at least you'll save a small bet if he was planning on betting the flop and check/calling the turn and river. he might not fold a pair of fives to a flop raise/turn bet anyways. QJ/QT is of course another possibility here, but those really aren't completing hands from the SB for a LAG. i think you'll see AA here more often than QJ.