Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Very taboo. What do I do?

you guys are all nits.

wtf is wrong with showing one card? especially in this situation where hero was trying to keep the table happy and show respect to his opponent?

jesus, get off your high horses.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 PM

I wouldn't take offense to it, just don't try to make believe that you are doing it out of respect.

I think guys might be missing my point a little. I like it when people do things like that. It is mostly done by weak players and it gives me more information about you and how you play. Yes very strong players do it occasionally but only when they are trying to set you up for a play later on. You will never ever get me to believe that you are showing one card out of respect.

Remember the OP is in a $5-10 game and is much more likely to be a tool than a world class player.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're calling somebody a tool? I hope that's not your picture. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

It is absolutely my picture and this reply confirms that my read on you is correct.

Tool Tactic #1 be an ass and only show one card.
Tool Tactic #2 when WRONG make a personal attack against the other party.

Yes, I know they show one card on TV but that doesn't make it good manners. I bet you have sunglasses and a hoodie and your next post will probably mention my weight or that I wear eyeglasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

to whom are you talking here? i really hope it's not about me and my OP. if we're talking about manners here, the guy is happier that he knows i had a winner, and i'm happy that he will continue to respect my raises putting me on stronger hands. it would be different if i was showing him a bluff or something. let's get things straight before you go around talking smack to everyone.

mflo
Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Remember the OP is in a $5-10 game and is much more likely to be a tool than a world class player.

[/ QUOTE ]

one more thing....thinking you know anything about me or my game for the fact that i was playing 5/10 proves only one thing. that is, you are a complete douche. no, i don't show a card if i'm playing 80/160 at the bellagio. you obviously think you have more information from one small circumstance than you really do. after receiving this tiny bit of information, you are "reading" me and making poor assumptions. sounds like some good poker skills
Old 11-16-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was Annie, but then I figured my memory might just be automatically linking her with something so brazen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course Annie's memorable TV hand with Phil Hellmuth (what was that, anyway? I forget) where she showed only the bottom of her two pair would be less dramatic had Phil just reached his hand into the muck and looked at her other card. I generally adore and admire Annie, but jeez... even Hellmuth doesn't stoop that low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even worse than that I believe.. whichever player it was just was mucking his hand after not being called.. he said he had aces, Annie Duke grabbed his cards as they went into the muck and looked at them! So in his case, the guy wasn't even showing one card.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't take offense to it, just don't try to make believe that you are doing it out of respect.

I think guys might be missing my point a little. I like it when people do things like that. It is mostly done by weak players and it gives me more information about you and how you play. Yes very strong players do it occasionally but only when they are trying to set you up for a play later on. You will never ever get me to believe that you are showing one card out of respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, you play at the 5-10 level (or comparable), so the same "much more likely to be a tool" comment could be (aptly) applied to you, too, I would think. Think what you want, but the OP was doing the folder a courtesy of showing him he was right to fold. A fish that is happy is one who will stay longer and lose more to you. And keeping a table full of fish happy (by showing them that you did have the goods) keeps them happy too. Never a bad thing. If you feel disrespected to see only one card, I think that's your issue, and you should keep your twisted nit views to yourself. Nit.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A good player doesn't do anything out of respect. It's all strategic. So what?

As for assessing the OP, what you've said just sounds obvious and hypercritical.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:05 AM

I don't agree or disagree with SB's point about showing one card, but I do understand where he is coming from.

To further argue the point that showing one card is taunting/disrespect, I take the flipside of the "my opponent is happy that I showed him he made the right decision" coin.

If I show only one card, the point is not that I am SHOWING a card. It's that I am NOT SHOWING the other card. Why am I not showing the other card? Maybe it's because I want to show the poor schmuck who lost that I only needed one card to beat him. Maybe it's because I want to confuse the guy - did I have a garbage second card or a true monster?

If I were going to argue against showing one card, I would say that it's a two-faced gesture that gives the appearance of respect, but is really meant to piss off and/or manipulate. Sort of like saying, "Thanks," in a sarcastic tone - sure, you're saying thanks, but you didn't mean it.

Again, I don't agree or disagree with SB, but I can see his point and just decided to argue on his side before I went to bed. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:40 AM

I've got to agree that showing one card is an unfriendly move at the card table. You're entitled to do it, but it's an angle. Please understand that I'm not attacking anybody, but I don't find the argument that players like knowing they folded correctly is persuasive. The fact that they folded indicates there is a chance they are aware enough to be offended by this tactic.

As far as turning over legally mucked cards, if your arm/hand doesn't end up broken it's your lucky day. Go play some roulette.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:56 AM

"You are so wrong here it's not even funny. This is done all the time at mid and high limits B&M and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it."

Thank you GOT & Take Me to the River!

I thought I had stepped into a Rod Serling rerun until I read your posts.

FWIW, I played 3 sessions at the Mirage and 2 sessions at the Aladdin (including some Fun H.O.R.S.E.) in the past 24 hours and This (show one card) was done by players in all of those sessions.

Come to think of it, I think I see it every night in my local B&M's.
NO one seems to mind as far as I can tell.

And to the OP.........

I had the same thing happen to me (as in your OP) once at Binion's. A lady not involved in the hand, reached over and turned the other card up as well. I too thought, "WTF?".

She left busted about an hour later. So it did have a happy ending. YMMV.

Best of Luck

Howard