Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME Report (long)

Holy cow, I played a day and a half in Atlantis and 13 hours in the Main Event and have a grand total of zero flopped sets. Not only that, I've never even mucked a small pair to a raise that would have been a set. Where can I go to work on this?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow, I played a day and a half in Atlantis and 13 hours in the Main Event and have a grand total of zero flopped sets. Not only that, I've never even mucked a small pair to a raise that would have been a set. Where can I go to work on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

hell, I even flopped one in the ME...you need to get a better luckbox. I'm about two versions behind colson it seems [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 01:35 PM

Nice report and great job. Your online and live success is pretty understandable, with your ability and feel of the game.

BTW, I know how painful it is to bust the way you did, but I really don't think there's a reason to feel too unlucky about it. Many people bust through very tough beats on the early hours of day 1 or 2. You were quite lucky at the early stages.

For a little perspective (it's not a rant or anything), I've played 4 EPT events this year (I've met you at two of them) and have never flopped any set with my PPs, while in the same time, at a few crucial hands where I had either a big pair (which ended as an overpair to the board), or a TPTK, someone flopped a set AGAINST ME. This was very expensive and painful for me, of course, although I did manage to survive 2 of these situations without taking a very big hit, which I'm proud of. People particularly loved playing TT to my PF raises and to hit a T on the flop... So feel good, you are running great! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (and playing great too, which helps a lot...)
Old 07-21-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people bust through very tough beats on the early hours of day 1 or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding. Here's one I saw at my day 1C table:

AA (shorter but decent stack) vs. KK (table chip leader) all-in pre-flop.

Flop: AKQ
Turn: T
River: K
Old 07-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Hi Praying Mantis, of course I remember meeting you at the EPT.

I didn't want to make it sound like I felt I was that unlucky. He hit his flush draw, it wasn't a bad beat. It was devastating though because I was getting to the point where I needed to make a hand, which just happened to be top set, the nuts at the time, and he happened to have the only hand that I was vulnerable to.

But I certainly realize I was very fortunate go get to that point. I was lucky to flop some big hands and get paid off way more than was necessary. However, I had my share of unlucky spots too.

I was also lucky to get away from the JJ when 99 basically saved me by pushing preflop.

The pain after busting out came from the fact that I had gotten that far, gotten my chips in with the nuts, and would have been in good shape had I won that pot. I was deep enough that the real money was in sight. One of my first thoughts after busting was that not only do I have to wait a year to play this great tournament again, but it might be a loooooooong time before I'm fortunate enough to make it this far in the main event again. It might be 10-20 years, or longer, before I get that close again in the main event (and that is assuming I play it every year). With the field as large as it is, I may never get that far again in this particular tournament.

I'm sure things will start going your way in these big events at some point. I haven't had a chance to play with you yet, but from your posts you seem like a top notch player.

colson10
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The pain after busting out came from the fact that I had gotten that far, gotten my chips in with the nuts, and would have been in good shape had I won that pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, this is extremely painful. Also, the points you made about maybe not being able to run as well luckwise in the next few WSOP events, are true also. It's a cruel game. I'm not saying you should feel good about busting like that. But you made your best effort and got far.

BTW colson, you mentioned you were sitting at the table with Hachem for a while. How did you find him as a player? Were you surprised when he took it down? Did you play any pots with him?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW colson, you mentioned you were sitting at the table with Hachem for a while. How did you find him as a player? Were you surprised when he took it down? Did you play any pots with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hachem seemed very solid. He was pretty short at the beginning of the day and doubled up when he flopped a set from the BB with 33 on a A83 board against AK. He then doubled up again against Scotland, when Scotland opened on his blind from the button. Flop was A73 with a flush draw, Hachem check raised the flop, Scotland pushed, and Hachem called with A9. A6 for Scotland. This was a pretty big pot, and I'm not sure if he'd play it the same against anyone else at the table. The turn was a 7, so Scotland had over half the deck for a chop. The river was a 4.

I didn't get into it with him much other than raising his blind a few times. He reraised me a couple times.

He opened in MP one hand with A3s, BB defended. Flop was AKQ, and I think the action went, check, bet, check raise, and Hachem pushed. BB had JT. I don't think he played this one well, but BB had shown to be a fan of big folds if he had to put his stack on the line, so I don't think it was that bad.

colson10
Old 07-22-2005, 06:49 PM

Very nice report and play. Good job.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I open with black KK on the button for 150, unknown BB defends (another late arriver). Flop is J86 two clubs. BB checks, I bet 200, he check raises to 450, I call. Turn is 6o, BB checks, I bet 700, he c/r’s again to 1600, I call. River is J, he leads for 2100, I call. He doesn’t show. I’m up to 13.5K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a busted draw since he CR'd the turn again and bet out on the river, but I'm curious what hands you put BB on during the action since his line is kind of odd.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I open with black KK on the button for 150, unknown BB defends (another late arriver). Flop is J86 two clubs. BB checks, I bet 200, he check raises to 450, I call. Turn is 6o, BB checks, I bet 700, he c/r’s again to 1600, I call. River is J, he leads for 2100, I call. He doesn’t show. I’m up to 13.5K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a busted draw since he CR'd the turn again and bet out on the river, but I'm curious what hands you put BB on during the action since his line is kind of odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

My decision to call on the river was made fairly quickly. I hardly pondered it even though it was a big bet. I didn't even try to really put him on some specific hand, I could just feel it was a bluff. When he plays it that strangely, with little check raises, I figure he has quads or nothing (missed draw).

colson10