Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-18-2005, 11:39 AM

Default 2 intresting hands for the day

No real reads.

Hand 1

Passive-ish table, this guy likes to donk so I figured my hand was best.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

<font color="red">Question:</font> Donk bettor does not bet, its checked to me on the flop, my action?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand 2

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 12-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: 2 intresting hands for the day

Hand 1 question - You'd bet. Charge the flush draws and OESDs. I guessa lot of cards can screw you though, so maybe a check is ok. Hmmm reverse implied odds maybe?

Hand 2 - Mp didn't bet the flop, is this guy a wimp who gets scared if his kickers not above 6 or something?

UTG randomly bets on the queen, i call this. I reckon he'll have a weaker Queen or TEN enough to pay us off and we're closing the action.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:49 AM

In Hand 1, couldn't we bet/fold the turn. I think a free river is bad since you want fewer players to maximize your chances of winning. Also, I think you'll get to showdown more that way. I'm surprised everyone checked to you on the river, although I haven't played much 5/10.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:54 AM

I play lower limits than this but I don't think its too different.

Hand 1 - Preflop seems questionable. I would bet the turn to charge any hands with a high club. Take free showdown if possible.

Hand 2 - It gets checked around on flop, why not bet? You didn't raise preflop, so they weren't checking to you hoping to checkraise. If two people call you are betting your flush for value. And I'd call the river, I know its a small pot, but I think we're good here enough of the time.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:59 AM

don't like the preflop call in hand 1 at all. don't like the turn check at all, definitely bet/fold.

don't like the flop check in hand 2 either. i also think i'd call the river, UTG played whatever he has quite strangely. your hand's not bad, i think you're good often enough after this action.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:00 PM

Do you bet a non-[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn in hand 1? If you're not betting the turn, it really doesn't look right to raise the flop. You're not going to fold everyone and get it heads-up. I'm assuming you're not calling any turn or river bets in the actual hand.

In hand 2, why not bet the flop for value? This would be a standard play for me with about 12 outs. I'm playing at 1/10 the level, though. On thee river, are you putting UTG squarely on QJ? Seems like any other better Q would have bet, as would AJ. I guess a weak-ish K could have played this the same. I think it's close, but probably not bad. We need to be good about 13% of the time, and we're probably not versus an unknown.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't like the preflop call in hand 1 at all. don't like the turn check at all, definitely bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if called by one or two players are u checking river?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as what to do if hand 1 is checked to me here is Schneids/PJN?waffle from irc.

&lt;oreogod&gt;: okay u hold J5s OTB and limp after a MP limper and co poster. sb completes, bb checks. Flop is 235 w/ 2 clubs w/ 4 other players in. none of your suit, checked to u. Your action?
&lt;Schneids&gt;: um bet?
&lt;waffle&gt;: seems like an ez bet oreo
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; hmm
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; i can see a check here
&lt;waffle&gt; heh, i guess there's no turn you want to see other than one of your 5
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; i dont think it would be that bad
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; reverso implied odds
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; except
&lt;waffle&gt; if it's passive, you might be able to chk thru turn after you bet flop
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; alot of hands will call you,
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; however
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; most of those hands will be drawing quite live
&lt;oreogod&gt; well pjn, Im on the fence. I see a bet and a check. I dont think we get c/r'ed much, we get a lot of callers though.
&lt;waffle&gt; collectively, your opponents w/ have a shitload of outs against you
&lt;+Schneids&gt; if you cant bet here, fold j5s pf
&lt;+Schneids&gt; what kind of flop do you want?
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; bet
&lt;+Schneids&gt; because collectively your opps have a lot of outs you need to bet so they'll fold 98, q9, etc
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; i agree
&lt;@cnfuzzd&gt; its a bet

--------------------------------------------------------

As far as Hand 2. I had just read Barry Tannenbaums article on improper betting from the button and deceided to check here (because I usually dont...the article just flashed in my head and I was like, wtf, lets check). Thats the reason I posted the hand. River was kind of bleh. Which is another thing I was curious on as the guy played it weird. I usually call, but at least this was one of the times I was beat, guy flashed Kx. Got to love the super passives.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:17 PM

Hand 1: I think I bet/fold the turn, and fold to a river bet when the 4 completes the A draws.

Hand 2: I haven't played 10/20 yet, but you have as many as 15 outs on the flop, so I would bet this for value. I guess the flop bet would change the way the hand was played, and I would most likely call the river bet with the inflated pot. The way you played it, I'm still not sure about the river fold. Can you explain your thinking there?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:22 PM

IN hand 1 the turn is a super easy bet/fold. In hand two checking the flop is bad, you've got a v. good draw in position with loads of quity, pump it uop.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:30 PM

I really don't like the river fold in hand 2. Its not like you're overcalling and the bettor can have a Ten.