Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: $1,000 1 table freezeout. What do you do here???

No, my pair is 7s, so overs also include 8s and 9s. So qj, q9, q8, j9, j8, and 98 are all 2 overs
Old 12-06-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...so if I bet, say, the pot which is 1k, he could easily push on me and I won't be sure what to do. I'd probably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"...When you have already put 2000 into the pot, and he pushes you are going to fold even being only a 47/53 dog?"

This is my point. Of course I'll call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get your story straight. Stop introducing new definitions of common terms like overcards. Take the advice of the forum or don't, nobody cares, and stop acting like you knew everything all along, because you clearly didn't.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am heads up against a player who is very aggressive. He raises almost every pot preflop and will bet out if he has anything, even 3rd pair

[/ QUOTE ]

So far seems like a standard for HU play. Aggressive play wins.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the small blind/button with K7 hearts and raised frankly because I knew he would raise if I didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is really the only reason you raised perhaps you need some help with your HU play. Any king is good to start with HU, and I'm even raising trash hands in this spot so that I get action on my big hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I made it 500 and he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck, give him odds to call with almost any 2 here, eh? Raise more preflop, make him define his hand a little more - unless he's the type to completely disregard things like pot odds and make -EV calls.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, he is a loose caller but he wouldn't just call any 2. He would call with SOME kind of hand, though, Even, say, 45 suited. By the way, if he had an ace or a pair, he would've reraised. OK, so the pot is 1K I now have 5700 and he has 4300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh but you gave him the right odds to call with lots of hands! That's the point here, he only needs about 40% equity here to make a call right. HU that includes lots of hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes 10,7,2 all spades. He checks to me. What is the right play?

Things to consider:
1. He is very aggressive, so the fact that he checked means he seriously doesn't have anything. If he had a pocket or ace high he wouldve reraised me preflop. If he hit any pair on the flop, 2 pair, or even a set, he would've bet out even though I was the preflop raiser. So I was pretty sure that I was ahead. The only thing he has that currently beats me is if he flopped a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monsters under the bed, huh? Bet already and see where you're at. You make your own case for it. Grow the nuts and put the chips out.

[ QUOTE ]
2. I can't give him a free card because pretty much whatever comes on the turn is a scare card. Unless it's a 3,4, or 5 non spade, he could've improved. And if I check, he is guaranteed to bet the turn whatever he has, and I'll have no idea where I stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so you've made your own case in favor of betting. Remember that if villain isn't holding the hand you're playing scared of that he's thinking you could have that same hand. What's the problem here?

[ QUOTE ]
3. Because he is very aggressive, he is capable of coming over the top of me if I make any bet, and so if I bet, say, the pot which is 1k, he could easily push on me and I won't be sure what to do. I'd probably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could come over the top of any bet in any hand. Are you going to sit there until you have the nuts before putting another chip in the pot?

[ QUOTE ]
4. I have 5700, he has 4300, pot is 1k. A push feels a little extreme. But if I bet 1500 or less, I know he'll push with any 2. What should I do???

Results to come later

[/ QUOTE ]

You already made your own case in favor or betting or pushing yourself. This isn't that tough of a decision, especially with a good read on your opponent like you had. If you really think you're ahead here then take the gamble and put out a bet. If he does push you're getting the right odds to call and it's not even close.

If you're not willing to play for villains whole stack you could always just check and give the pot to villain on his turn bet and give him the chiplead. That's what will happen if you don't bet and you know it.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my point. Of course I'll call. Ok, I'll divulge. I think pushing on the flop is best. i want him to know right then and there that he's going to have to gamble his tourney life if he wants to win that hand. And I don't want to give him a chance to check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that you can translate this as "I'm virtually certain I'm ahead here (though rarely it's a coin-flip), so I want to push him off the worst hand rather than allow him to bluff off his whole stack by check-raising with the worst hand (most of the time)."
Old 12-06-2005, 12:29 PM

doing anything but the line which you are certain would lead to him pushing the flop with any hand is absurdity.

yes, he could have 2 overs and a spade, but that's just one of the million hands he could have. if you're saying he's playing 95% of all hands preflop, and htat he's pushing all of them over your weak raise, of course you run it out here.

"letting him know he has to gamble his whole tournament if he wants to play this pot" is similarly absurd. you're playing poker. making your opponent play correctly isn't the idea.

as another poster pointed out, get your story straight w.r.t. what you "of course" would have done to a flop push.

and finally, remember that "aggro players who bet everything that hits the flop down to 3rd pair" frequently have exactly one extra move in their arsenal, that being "check when i flop really really good, as the guy will of course assume i hit nothing." so checking here could mean nothing and could mean that he flopped a flush or something like that.

if you don't believe that he'll call preflop with a ton, you should say that.

if you don't believe he'll actually cr push on the flop over your bet with any 2 cards he saw the flop with, you should say that.

if you raise preflop here, you should also be telling us if you think there's an amount you can raise preflop that makes him fold more often.

your opponent seems to be a secondary ideal of hu opponent. the ideal being the one who just folds all the time. if he in fact checks whenever he has nothing, you should just win every hand that he doesn't hit.

if he has 2 overs and a flush draw, would he bet the flop?

c
Old 12-06-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doing anything but the line which you are certain would lead to him pushing the flop with any hand is absurdity.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was tearing my hair out reading the thread. this is obviously correct. somebody please pokerstove K7 against any 2 on that board (or maybe a top 70% hand that's not a pp / Ax / KJ+ based on the pre-flop read). K7 has to be a very solid favorite.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:10 PM

I did. And took away every hand that had a card that made a pair with the board. He has 70%+ equity, but maybe he is good enough to pass up on such small edges.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did. And took away every hand that had a card that made a pair with the board. He has 70%+ equity, but maybe he is good enough to pass up on such small edges.

[/ QUOTE ]

if villain pushes a2s face up, hero is obviously correct to fold AQ. no doubt.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if villain pushes a2s face up, hero is obviously correct to fold AQ. no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]
That should be pretty obvious. We all know that all in preflop is not real poker anyway.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:25 PM

"By your info there is exactly one hand (QJ with a spade) he can have that has you beat, and even then you are only a 47/53 dog. All other hands he has that he will push no matter what(yikes), you either are a favourite againts or have crushed. This makes getting all the chips in not a bad idea. Do you see why?

Some fantastic reads on your part, but you seem unwilling to go with them."

There are a lot of hands other than qj with 1 spade has me beat. q9, q8, 96, and 86 with 1 spade also has me beat.
j9, or j8 with 1 spade has me beat beadly cuz he's got 17 outs. 98 with a spade has me crushed, he's got 20 outs.

kx, qx, or jx with 1 spade he has 11 or 12 outs. 45, 35, 34 with 1 spade, he has 12 outs.

Now do you see the predicament? If I make any bet and he raises, there's a very good chance that he is raising with a drawing but a favorite, and at worst, a slight dog if he has 11 or 12 outs. And do I want to risk my life on a hand that I don't even know if I'm a fave, and if I am, I'm no more than a ~62% fave? Oh, and of the hands that I have crushed, he won't call with many of them.

I mean, come on, people, I still have a lot of chips. And one of the main concepts of tourney poker is that it's ok to let go of a +EV situation if by doing so, you can make an even more +EV decision later on.

But if I bet a little or check, it's pretty much like folding because every card on the turn is a scare card and he'll bet no matter what.

Look, for what it's worth, I pushed, he thought for a long time and called with kj and the king was the spade. So he had 11 outs, got no help, and I won the tourney. $6,600, nice payday.

And I felt like I made the right move until I told 2 friends about it, and they told me that pushing was a horrible play. And these are two very well respected 2+2ers. So that's why I'm posting the hand.

So criticize my push play but don't pretend like there is a cut and dry decision here. It comes down to the fact that I just want to take the pot down right there, but only a push can do it, which is unfortunate because the stack sizes are still pretty big compared to the pot and the blinds. That's why it's a tough little situation.