Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: AA beginner question

[ QUOTE ]
...I often have trouble playing the good pre-flop hands (AA-QQ mostly) when the flop doesn't hit me.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Nuff said about the hand, what I want to know is exactly how you expect the flop to hit you when you're holding a Broadway pair? If you can't play AA-QQ unless it hits a set, then you're in serious trouble.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM

*grunch*

PF: should 3-bet, and if its capped behind you, then call. 3-betting will give you more info about possible hands held by UTG, UTG+1. Always cap AA PF. With villian's PFR of 2%, I'm thinking AA or KK (maybe QQ or AKs)

Flop: If you had 3-bet PF (and called possible cap), you would have better idea what to do here. As played, I'll go with your raise/call line. Possible worries are sets, two pair and flush draw.

Turn: I would just call behind. Now worrying about flush as well.

Villian's AF is pretty low so KK or QQ need to be a concern since he's raised flop and turn.

River: Uh-oh. UTG woke up. Did he hit a set of 2s? (appearently note since he folded to your raise) But we're still worried about hands from UTG+1 so I'm just calling down here and not raising.

Dave
Old 12-02-2005, 05:57 PM

grunch:

As I'm sure many have already said. Hold your cursor over the raise button preflop and don't let up. If he 3-bets, you cap and you can be pretty sure he's on a small range of hands based on the action and his position. You'll have a better idea of what he has at that point and can put him on AA-QQ, and maybe AKs.

As it is, on the flop he could have trips, two pair, of just one pair. His 3-bet would make me inclined to put him on trips or two pair. UTG seems to be an idiot calling two cold, add a note about him for future. I think I'd fold this here...I've gone on auto pilot with aces too many times.

If a heart hadn't fallen on the turn I think villian would have reraised here.

River. WTF is with UTG donk betting after being so passive? A true idiot unless he has the flush, but no one's getting out with this big a pot.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never ever ever let AA go unraised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
But daaaaaad, all the other kids do it....!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:50 PM

*grunch*

Raise PF!

Cap flop - would have made this come out differently

Good turn

Call down on the river, if the guy donks it, I'm a bit worried
Old 12-02-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never ever ever let AA go unraised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
But daaaaaad, all the other kids do it....!

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to think of it, I have limped AA voluntarily. I was shortstacked in an MTT and needed to double up, and just stealing the blinds wasn't gonna cut it. I don't think that counts though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hand can't be properly analyzed because you didn't 3-bet preflop. If you had 3-bet and he had capped, we would have a lot more information about his hand, and putting in multiple bets on this flop would not have been right.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean raising this flop wouldn't be right if villain had capped preflop? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 09:40 PM

Raising PF is definatly a good thing to do.

I don't understand how you could think that we get a lot more info if villian caps preflop... even with that are you going to fold the flop or just going to call the rest of the way?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 AM

grunch: One newbie to another.

My first thought is why not re-reaise preflop? You might have gotten a better read on his starting hand had you put the option of a call or cap back to him. On this big flop, in addition to villian's possible hands you listed, he might have AK or AQ, perhaps a backdoor flush draw with either, or in the case of A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] a flush draw. That said, the fact that you didn't re-raise preflop probably means he doesn't have you on AA, but a flush draw instead and may account for his weakness on the streets. I'll admit to getting confused on how to play AA with this board, but after the flop I'd probably do the same as you.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:03 AM

When playing Taxes Hold Them and holding well cards that are matching aces one should three bet preflop, cap this particular flop and well.. from there your opponents action dictates the next step.