Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Libertarians: Closer to Liberals or Conservatives ?

I read it in Scalia Dissents, a book of Scalia's dissents. Maybe it was another similair case, maybe there was something else related too it, anyway, I'm going on what I read there.

If you read scalia's philosophy there are ways by which you determine original meaning.

1) The Text is Clear
The right to bear arms means guns, not phsyical arms. If there is question as to wording, consult dictionaries from the era and other research.

2) The Text is Unclear, but there is precedent from the time of the laws implementation.

Something may have multiple meanings and be complex. As such, you try to go back to the time the law was implemented and see how the court interpreted it then. This is the best way of determining original meaning.

As such, the fact that there is precedent going back to the time of the constitution is relevent to original meaning. If the court made rulings in relation to print advertisement and used the logic that is was the primary means of communication and public discourse, then it doesn't take much (or any really, just common sense) interpreting to update it for TV or internet because they are now the primary forum for public discourse and communication.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:57 PM

There have been numerous situations on this board where we have discussed matters where religion is disciminated against. If you say you have a philosophy you can say and do whatever you want, but somehow we treat religion much differently. I'm not going to go into all of them.

A small example, my Mom wasn't allowed to put up a small christmas decoration on her desk because her boss said people might complain and sue them for "imposing" thier religion. My mom hasn't been to church in years, but apparently she's a raging zealot now.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should an abused wife have to get permission from her husband in order to get an abortion?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are either a moron, ignorant, or both if you actually believe this was what happened in Planned Parenthood v Casey. The law in question had an exception for women who feared reprisal from telling their husbands about getting an abortion. Hell, Rehnquist, in his dissent, quoted Alito's dissent and if you think about it, Alito really is replacing Rehnquist.

Turn off the NARAL ads and actually do some real research on the subject.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There have been numerous situations on this board where we have discussed matters where religion is disciminated against. If you say you have a philosophy you can say and do whatever you want, but somehow we treat religion much differently. I'm not going to go into all of them.

A small example, my Mom wasn't allowed to put up a small christmas decoration on her desk because her boss said people might complain and sue them for "imposing" thier religion. My mom hasn't been to church in years, but apparently she's a raging zealot now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your mom work for the state?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:59 PM

Good discussion here. I'm fiscally conservative, socially liberal...Dont really care what gay people wanna do in their free time if you know what I mean...I'm also pro life but why argue it? It's irrelevant and you should not vote around it because it cannot be changed. Fact is that there is an entire industry built around abortions and attempting to stop it at this stage of the game would result in public bloodletting in the streets. Same with guns...Every gun shop owner in the world would retaliate if guns became illegal. And they do have access to lots of guns....

Let's focus on issues that can be changed in gov't like overspending and overtaxing. Let's stay out of the marriage and butthole phucking business and do our jobs as citizens to create a better future for this country!!!

Indy
Old 11-30-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good discussion here. I'm fiscally conservative, socially liberal...Dont really care what gay people wanna do in their free time if you know what I mean...I'm also pro life but why argue it? It's irrelevant and you should not vote around it because it cannot be changed. Fact is that there is an entire industry built around abortions and attempting to stop it at this stage of the game would result in public bloodletting in the streets. Same with guns...Every gun shop owner in the world would retaliate if guns became illegal. And they do have access to lots of guns....

Let's focus on issues that can be changed in gov't like overspending and overtaxing. Let's stay out of the marriage and butthole phucking business and do our jobs as citizens to create a better future for this country!!!

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 06:02 PM

Welcome to libraterianism

Been there since the mid 80's.

Voted for McGovern in '72, Ford in '76 and Reagan '80. After that it's been LP all the way.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After that it's been LP all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You arent helping the cause of freedom. The Republican Party needs change from within
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 PM

The Libertarian Party believes -- in a truly radical and fundamentalist sense -- that Utopia can be created through the laissez-faire doctrines of the 1910's.

They are the economic version of the Religious Right.

q/q
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 AM

Libertarians are what the republicans are supposed to be.

Republicans no longer care about "freedom" although they use the idea of "defending freedom" wherever they find it convenient.

Democrats care an awfull lot about redistribution of wealth and government control in the name of fairness. They fail to see how this conflicts with personal freedom and democracy itself.

Libertarians are so rational that they can't win an election.