Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-28-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Duke/Lederer fantasy poker camp

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on which scene we're talking about. FF, FFM, FM?

[/ QUOTE ]

FFM, featuring FS followed by double BBBJTCNQNS. I, of course, am the M. Jennas Jameson and Haze are the F and F, respectively.

I am a degenerate. :/

-bb.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:56 AM

Check out the ESPN.com poker site. They have a couple of articles about the camps.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 AM

I've been to Lederer's poker camp. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend it for the casual poker player with the cash to pay for the experience of sitting at the same table with real pros. That's really what you're paying for after all.

The formal instruction is good, and of course it's very cool to listen to the true professionals discuss their business, but you're not going to learn much that you won't pick up from a few good books, and a few hundred hours of experience. I did take away a few nuggets, but they were more along the lines of noting the behavior of true pro behavior at a live table (very mechanical).

I met an abundance of doctors and lawyers while I was there if that tells you anything about the profile of the camp participants.

I typically don't refer 2+2'ers to my site, but in this case you might find this article I wrote interesting.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Much appreciated, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:59 PM

I attended the camp that just passed earlier this month. There were some good points, but alot of bad points too. I have a long list of complaints, but a few of my biggest complaints would be:

1)You had to wait 45 mins to an hour at times to get into a sit an go, and then often had no pro at your table. There were not enough dealers or pros to handle the 186 campers at camp. If the camp had filled to 400 it would have been a disaster.

2) The palms raked 10% of the money from sit and go's. For example a $100 sit and go with ten players paid 1st $500, 2nd $250, 3rd $150. After having paid $3000 to be there I don't think the games should be furthur raked.

3) They didn't let the pros play in the big tournaments only the sit and go's. This was a major let down for me as well.

I must say these points are based on MY experience only, and I don't speak for anyone else. For some reason the organizers of the camp consider negative reviews to be slander.

I personally would think the camp is fine if you win an entry through a sattellite or something, but not even close to worth $3000 if you buy in directly. I think a fair price would be between $1000 to $1500, and most of that is based on the tournament payouts. Lower the payouts and the value is less.

If anyone else here has attended the camp, what is your take on it?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1)You had to wait 45 mins to an hour at times to get into a sit an go, and then often had no pro at your table. There were not enough dealers or pros to handle the 186 campers at camp. If the camp had filled to 400 it would have been a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was only there on two of the days. During those two days it did not appear that people were waiting 45 to get into a sit'n go. And while it was true that there were not pro's in every sit 'n go, the organizers clearly made an effort to get the pro's to come over and observe (and answer questions) the sit'n gos that didn't have pro's in them. During the two days I was there, there was no dealer shortage. many tourneys went 11 handed but this appeared to be to get pros into as many tournaments as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
2) The palms raked 10% of the money from sit and go's. For example a $100 sit and go with ten players paid 1st $500, 2nd $250, 3rd $150. After having paid $3000 to be there I don't think the games should be furthur raked.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no juice taken from the sit n' gos. NONE you are mistaken about the payouts on the tournaments (the tournamnets that had 11 players paid a fourth place which just got back the buy-in)

[ QUOTE ]
3) They didn't let the pros play in the big tournaments only the sit and go's. This was a major let down for me as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised by this because the pro's did play in the Big tournaments in the first camp.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was surprised by this because the pro's did play in the Big tournaments in the first camp.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the camp I went to, the pros participated in the big tournaments also, which really was my favorite part of the event (e.g., sitting at the same table with Chris Ferguson and Annie Duke).

Maybe the organizers thought that the pros could interact/participate with more players by having the pros in the SnGs, which would also encourage more players to play in the SnGs after they bust out of the big event(s).
Old 12-19-2005, 01:56 PM

I won a trip to the Camp in May in Austria through a charity poker tournament. It is something I wouldn't pay for...but considering it only cost me 150 and includes airfare and hotel I am pumped. I am actually leaning towards turning this into a 1 month European vacation.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:14 PM

Just to reply, there were extended waits to play in sit and go's "at times". Not all the time. Usually not the first one of the night, but after you finished and wanted to play again, you would go put your name on the waiting list with Robert Thompson, which at times was 40 names long or so. If they had more dealers there wouldn't have been a wait longer than whatever time it took to get ten players.

Also there absolutely was a rake being taken out of the sit and go's. I am sure of the payouts, because I got paid them 3 out of the 5 times I got to play. At the 11 person tables, 4th place did get their money back but that still only equals $1000 out of $1100 at a $100 sit and go. They only paid out $900 total at a ten person table.

The camp was not all bad, but there is definitely room for improvement.

If you win your way in then you are ahead no matter what you get, but if you buy your way in like I did, you really want to get more for your 3K.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably not worth the cost, it like 5k?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on how much you dig Annie. I think she's kinda cute.
Dresses like crap, though. Maybe I'd take her f*cking.

[/ QUOTE ]