Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Sweden

Pleasure, just going around Europe for a month staying on the cheap, aiming for $40-50 a day.

No need to play poker while I am here, I just cashed a bit of my roll out to pay for the trip in advance.

Europe is kind of expensive however.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pleasure, just going around Europe for a month staying on the cheap, aiming for $40-50 a day.

No need to play poker while I am here, I just cashed a bit of my roll out to pay for the trip in advance.

Europe is kind of expensive however.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite interested in going to some places in Europe but accommodation seems a bitch.

I assume you are staying in a hostel, what's that like? Are they full of thieves? And can you get a good nights sleep sharing with 4 people etc?

Cheers.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:09 AM

Yes staying in hostels.

All my nights have been good nights sleep except for one... That was a horrid night I would prefer not to repeat. I have been gone about 2 weeks now, and slept on night trains 2 of those nights.

Where I have been there have been no thieves, but I don't flash money around and wear a money belt, etc.

As I am going further south in Europe I will probably pick up a lock to lock my things up at night.

Hostels are quite interesting, if you want to meet people, you can easily. Many lonely travellers wanting to start up a good conversation. I have met a few interesting people, and exchanged addresses with a couple people as well. I hope they decide to come to the states and stay with me for a few days, but who knows.

I am travelling by myself, it has its ups and downs.

I'd say
Pros: Do whatever you want, when you want.
Cons: Can be a bit boring if you are in a slower hostel. Plus there are times when you see something interesting and would like to point it out to a companion but you can't.

I think when I travel next time to Europe I will try to go with just one other person. I think groups bigger than 2 would be too much of a hassle.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Suicide rate is one of the highest tho due to the long winter nights (only sunny like 4 hours a day).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thatīs actually a myth. The suicide rate for men is about the same as the US, and for women a bit higher I think.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:49 AM

www.nationmaster.com
Suicide rate men
Sweden, place 29 with 20/100k people
US, place 30 with 19.8

Suicide rate females
Sweden, place 23 with 8.5 / 100k people
US, place 39 with 4.4
Old 09-29-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes staying in hostels.

All my nights have been good nights sleep except for one... That was a horrid night I would prefer not to repeat. I have been gone about 2 weeks now, and slept on night trains 2 of those nights.

Where I have been there have been no thieves, but I don't flash money around and wear a money belt, etc.

As I am going further south in Europe I will probably pick up a lock to lock my things up at night.

Hostels are quite interesting, if you want to meet people, you can easily. Many lonely travellers wanting to start up a good conversation. I have met a few interesting people, and exchanged addresses with a couple people as well. I hope they decide to come to the states and stay with me for a few days, but who knows.

I am travelling by myself, it has its ups and downs.

I'd say
Pros: Do whatever you want, when you want.
Cons: Can be a bit boring if you are in a slower hostel. Plus there are times when you see something interesting and would like to point it out to a companion but you can't.

I think when I travel next time to Europe I will try to go with just one other person. I think groups bigger than 2 would be too much of a hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man I admire you so much.

So many people in this world can't even go to a [censored] movie without someone else to hold their hand let alone travel a continent and you are doing it.

Respect.

I also like how you see [censored] at your own pace and you won't compromise by going on a gay 'contiki' tour where you only spend 8 hours max in any one place before being bussed to the next location hurredly.

I myself am planning on travelling solo one day too hence my questions to you, as I imagine what you do will be what I will be doing.

Are you keeping a Blog at all or are you writing some things down so later on people who want to read about what you do daily can?

I know I'd love to read about the life of a lone traveller, to see what road is ahead of me.

Cheers kilpin.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:01 PM

kiplin,

are you spending what you planned or more? most people always end up spending more.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:29 PM

No blog because internet access is sketchy, but I am keeping a journal. If there is interest I can put it online when I get back to the states.

Not quite the same as a blog, but I think it counts for something.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 PM

Suprisingly... less

Aside from the cost of the ticket to get here, and the rail pass. I think I have spent something like $600 in 2 weeks time. (I gave myself about $3000 for the 1 month trip)

I have been eating on the cheap (Cooking pasta at night for dinner), staying on the cheap(My most expensive night was last night which was $40 at what I thought was a hostel but turned out to be a hotel), and where I am going it only gets cheaper(Czech Republic, Austria, Poland?.. although I end in Iceland which is supposed to be very expensive, similar to Norway I hear). I Started in norway, the most expensive place I've ever been, went to Sweden also expensive, and then Denmark which starts getting cheaper but still expensive.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 PM

Very interesting thread.

I'm from Norway, and I'm going to travel the world for 6 months in a week. Starting in Shanghai, ending up in New York.

How long were you in Norway kilpin, and how did you like it? (except for the obviously unreasonable prices)

Edit: And yeah, I totally agree about the girls.