Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-07-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Look Mom/Dad I won 12K

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that it is on TV has helped alot. They can see these other successful pros so they know it is a game of skill with a luck component.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing they don't realize that most of the pros they see on TV are compulsive gamblers.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:40 PM

Shhh
Old 08-07-2005, 09:03 PM

Why does everyone care so much what their parents think.. The whole baby boom generation is very selfish and closed minded.. You are probably a lot smarter than your father, so why do you need his approval?

If I were you I seperate myself from them. You don't want to be around negative people who crush your hopes and dreams, no matter who they are.. This is YOUR life not theirs, do what you want with it.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:03 PM

you obviously care about more than just money. you want respectability and the respect of your family. poker won't give you that and now you know it.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:09 AM

tdarko is pretty much correct.

i understand that it can be frustrating to have such a big win, tell your parents about it, and have them think you're a degenerate.
i'm pretty lucky in that regard in that my Dad understands the concept of taking a small advantage, hitting on that advantage over and over again, and squeaking out a profit in the long-run.
My Mom had concerns...but when asked my Dad's opinion was pretty much told "He's smart enough. He'll do okay."

When I won $12.5k in a tournament last Sept EVERYONE in my family was happy for me. Still my largest tourney win to date.
So I can only imagine how I would have felt if the reaction had been the opposite.

I really don't think it has quite so much to do with your age though. I think it is just their misconceptions about playing winning poker and their general set of beliefs.
In other words...if you were 34 years-old (like me) your parents might still react similarly (believe it or not).

I disagree with granny. I'm not so sure that they will come around if you win another big tourney.
But I might be wrong on that one.

Their concerns are somewhat understandable though from people that don't really 'get it'.

Think about my girl-friends' parents for example. They know that their daughter is quite serious about me...a guy who plays poker on the internet for a living.
They like me okay...but they are pretty concerned about the whole issue of 'well, is he going to be doing this 20-30 years from now?'

On top of that...her parents don't speak english so I can't even sit and intelligently explain that I'm usually just grinding things out by playing multi-tables of 5/10 or 10/20 and that I play WAY under my bankroll.
I can't explain any of it.

I think they're gradually getting better with it. And they're happy that their daughter is happy with me.
But can you really blame them??
Even knowing what I do about how one actually CAN pull in decent money at this...I don't even think I would want a daughter of mine to date an internet-poker player (most of whom obviously don't have the discipline).

Anyway - just keep on with your career goals. Play poker on the side and maybe talk to them again on your next big tourney win.
Perhaps if you keep playing ring-games just mention that you do still play poker occasionally and that it's going pretty well....over the past 3 months you have made $40/hour doing it or something like that.
Talking in terms of an 'hourly-rate' helps get the point across better imo then just saying "I'm winning 1.8BB/100 and have made $5k in the past 3 months on the 2/4 tables."

Again...total money made just sounds like a 'big lottery score'.
Referring to you win-rate in terms of 'per-hour' makes it sound much more serious.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 AM

You don't need your parents' guidance, AceHi. Soon you will learn to trust your instincts. Then you will be invincible.

You should move out and not return their phone calls. When they finally get in touch with you simply tell them you don't need the unsupportive negativity. That will get them right the [censored] in line.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Yeah, explainging that you win it in cash games that you play all the time is much better then a tournament. A tournament sounds like one lucky win (which to a certain extent, it is).
Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 AM

keep trying to overwhelm them with evidence that it's not simply degenerate gambling. any type of gambling does have a very negative connotation with alot of people, and it's not unusual that this worries your parents. I've convinced my parents that poker is more then just gambling, my father (a shrink) is cool with it, my mother is convinced that A:it's going to spiral out of control B: i'm victimizing people. i'm not worried about A, and i've come to term with B. (Alot of professions involve screwing people out of their money, atleast in poker we're up front about it. I'm a 22 year old college student as well. I like to travel alot. After highschool, my parents stopped paying for my frequent traveling. I upped my poker playing, essentially to pay for my frequent traveling. I only told my parents about the extent of my poker earnings earlier this year after my mother asked me if i was "selling dope" because i'd gone on a couple 10 day vacations to california and costa rica. While there is no reason to expect your parents to support your poker playing, you should not feel guilty, even in the absence of their approval. Keep assuring them you plan on getting a "real job" after school, and let the proverbial chips fall where they may.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:34 AM

Well, hey, at least you're not selling dope. ^^
Old 08-08-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you anthony michael hall from the breakfast club?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nh