Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Where does the money come from?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is delusion that pays winning players rent. Without delusion the poker industry (and probably the gambling industry as a whole) would most likely collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]

nail on the head....bullseye....bingo

Bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

okay - here's a follow up question. what other industries would collapse without delusion? the only one i can think of off the top of my head is the weight-loss program industry, but i'm sure there's others.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 PM

This is a really interesting point to me. Tonight I had a very negative session at my piddly little limit of $1/$2- down over 60BB in an hour of two tabling (wanna hear a story? Thought not..).

I had two thoughts at the end of it. One. Losing sucks. It's really annoying, and is absolutley no fun. Winning, on the other hand, is fantastic. I bet I'll try to forget the losing really quickly.

The second was to try and work out where I went wrong and how much i wanted to get better. As it happens I think this time it was marginal, and the savings I could have made were river calls.- still, that was prob 5 BB and that's significant and I need to focus on it. other times though losing has been a real wake up call to bad habits.

Anyway, my point is that losing players will have the same emotional reaction to losing (it sucks) that I do, but a very different rational attitude- either to not worry about the money "because it's a gamble" or simply to carry on blindly without reflecting on why they lose.

I'm relaxed about the first set of people, but the second, doomed to commit the same errors agains and again, give me pause. They'd be better off playing roulette. In the end they'll either quit or develop a problem.

That makes me feel bad, becasue at heart i'd rather the poker boom were a bubble that will pop than an addiction that will hurt people. Even though this is ultra -EV for me.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 PM

The thing you don't understand is that the majority of people play for entertainment. You attacked it from the beginning as a way to make money. Most people do it for fun initially, and then either:

1. make money immediately
2. lose money and try to get better
3. lose money indefinitely

Of the players in group 3, some are compulsive gamblers but most of them are simply entertaining themselves.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
big, big difference is that gambling addiction is very common whereas addiction to purchasing... is extremely uncommon

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't have a wife/girlfriend [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 AM

Go to Vegas. Look around at the billions of dollars in new construction happening.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
okay - here's a follow up question. what other industries would collapse without delusion? the only one i can think of off the top of my head is the weight-loss program industry, but i'm sure there's others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Self-help books (at least, they would take a huge hit), faith healing televangelists, anything related to ESP and similar nonsense, manufacturers of bad artificial hairpieces, anything employing multi-level marketing.

This is kinda fun. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember where I read this, but when asked if he would fire nukes at the U.S. if he knew it would mean the utter demolition of Cuba, Fidel Castro said that he would indeed. From our perception on reality, this is totally illogical and irrational but from Castro's view of the world, taking such action would actually be very logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a poor example. I don't want to be a nit, but let me ask you: "What would you say if you were Castro?"

Would you say "No, even if the US invades, I would not use nuclear weapons. These are just for show?"

What else could be said? "Hmmm. I never considered the possibility of US retaliation. No, I would not use nuclear weapons."

I really can't think of any other possible response for the leader of a nation to give here.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:01 AM

I'm thinking that this is exactly where the money comes from. I played on pp play chips for 6 months just for fun before deciding to play for real. (p.s. BAD IDEA) When I decided to play for real, I had no Idea about bankroll management, and less of an idea about how to actually play poker (c'mon, K8 os is a good hand. No?). I burned about $200 in 3 days.

Of course, I had to get my money back. So I proceeded to donate another $1000 or so in the pursuit.

By the time I actually decided to study the game, I was about 2k down, and it took me the better part of a year to make it back. This is only because I'm completely obsessive and cannot stand to lose at anything. Point being: a slightly less obsessive player would have quit at -$1000 and taken up a less expensive hobby.

I'm sure there are not thousands, but hundreds of thousands of people just like I was. In over their heads, but refusing to admit it.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 AM

from new players, who haven't learn play well.
After they have, there are new players for them to eat!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anything employing multi-level marketing.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is multi-level marketing?