Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 04-07-2005, 11:13 PM

Default bankroll question

how much of a bankroll should i have to start playing 2/4, 3/6, 5/10 holdem on party poker? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: bankroll question

Rule of thumb is 300 big bets

(ie. 2/4 -> 4 * 300 = 1200)
Old 04-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Most people will tell you 300 BB, but if your going to multitable, I'd say go for 400-500, espically if your learning limit still.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 PM

i deposited 500 into UB for their full bonus and jumped right into 2/4. doing well. but I would advise minimum 800
Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people will tell you 300 BB, but if your going to multitable, I'd say go for 400-500, espically if your learning limit still.

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing more than one table doesn't increase your Risk of Ruin, except insofar as it decreases your winrate. If you are a losing player no size of bankroll is sufficient. If multitabling is making your winrate so tenuous that 300BB is insufficient to avoid ruin but 500BB suffices, then you shouldn't be multitabling.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing more than one table doesn't increase your Risk of Ruin, except insofar as it decreases your winrate. If you are a losing player no size of bankroll is sufficient. If multitabling is making your winrate so tenuous that 300BB is insufficient to avoid ruin but 500BB suffices, then you shouldn't be multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just thought that most RoR calculations are based on 2BB/100 winners. Lesser winners will obviously undergo more variance, and chances are that even if you start out as a winner you aren't a 2 BB/100 winner. So more than 300 BB isn't a bad idea, but I still stand by my multitabling recommendations.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I you're learning limt still, play 0.5/1.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 AM

More of a psychological thing, IMHO. Nothing is worse after a 100 BB downswing to than to realized that over half your roll is in play when you sit down to 4 tables. Whereas, in theory, multitabling should bring variance quicker, there is a learning curve to going from 1 table to 4 or even 2 to 4. My 500 BB suggestion is from personal experience with several sizable downswings due to a combination of cold cards and playing too timidly because of fear i was going to go broke after a prolonged streak. Since it seems our question asker is a newer player (i'm assuming here), I simply suggest that he give himself a larger cushion.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More of a psychological thing, IMHO. Nothing is worse after a 100 BB downswing to than to realized that over half your roll is in play when you sit down to 4 tables. Whereas, in theory, multitabling should bring variance quicker, there is a learning curve to going from 1 table to 4 or even 2 to 4. My 500 BB suggestion is from personal experience with several sizable downswings due to a combination of cold cards and playing too timidly because of fear i was going to go broke after a prolonged streak. Since it seems our question asker is a newer player (i'm assuming here), I simply suggest that he give himself a larger cushion.

[/ QUOTE ]

But ah u see there's the rub.

1.If you are worried about your roll, jump down a limit.
2.Downswing or no, you still got to play your best otherwise if u let it really really affect your game, it doesnt matter how much the BR is before its gone.
3.If you are still learning limit, stick to the micros till u have a good grasp of things (seriously, cheapest way to apply concepts to your game and learn) -- u should not start playing at 2/4 and up, especially with online poker, theres no reason to throw tons of money away now.

Example: I now play 3/6-5/10 when I started playing I put in 50 bucks on Stars last october and promptly went up and down with it, blew the last of it on rebuy tournies, left .95 cents in my account. Learned to play elsewhere, came back .95 was still there, so I got the grand idea to build up a PS BR from nothing. 3 weeks in Im at 69.54 so far over about 3000 hands. Where before I had no clue what i was doing, I couldnt sustain any sort of profit, now Im crushing the game, still hit downswings, but nothing that cant be handled (especially at .05/.10) -- anyway Im moving up once I have 300BB for each of the next levels. Getting it to 1000, then from there to 20,000. See how it goes.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:46 AM

if you consider your bankroll to be all of the money that you have in the bank, 1000BBs is optimal. 500minimum.

dont worry about building a bankroll right now if you are new. learn how to play goot and play it safe. as soon as you learn how to be a winner your bankroll will start tripling weekly if you 4table and you will get the 1000 minimum for 3/6->5/10 in no time. if you arent able to build a bankroll for those games progressing through the smaller limits, you arent good enough.