Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2004, 02:00 PM

Default The 2/4 to 3/6 Jump

Please indulge me as I know this topic has been discussed at length but I'd like an opinion from an EV perspective.

I just crossed the +400 BB milestone in 2/4 earnings. My win rate is 2.51 BB/100 and I have around 16K hands of 2/4 in PokerTracker (I've played more but lost a bunch of data when my old PC crashed). I'm pretty comfortable playing 4 tables now so on an hourly basis, it comes out to around $20/Hr.

Sooooo...do I make the jump to 3/6 because that's the next logical step? Play just one 3/6 table and maybe two 2/4's and really focus on the 3/6? Is it really worth it?

To maintain my hourly rate, I'd have to make about 2.5 BB/100 3-tabling or 1.66 BB/100 4 tabling. And that's just to break even. So in reality, I would need to make 2 BB/100 4-tabling to make it worthwhile.

My gut as well as a lot of posts here tells me 3/6 is more than 20% harder than 2/4 so the jump may not be +EV. Also, I don't think my 2.5 BB/100 rate at 2/4 is good enough to consider the move. My guess is that most of you successful 3/6 players beat the 2/4 game for higher than this.

So what does everyone think?

PS: I've also been playing a ton of 6-max games recently and although I'm just breaking even, it is helping my aggression a ton. Is this a good training ground prior to a 3/6 move?