Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Small flush on paired board

Just sat down. No reads. But it's Empire, so I guess they are all brout trout, eh? Anyways...

What's the general idea here? Previously I have gone through a fair number of different thought processes. If it's short stacked, I usually just push. If it's deep stacked, I usually raise and fold to a push. But these are kinda in the middle stacks. And I'm not positive that my raise and fold to a push line is really that great anyways although I guess most people won't push all-in here without a full house, right? But is there enough value for me to be raising here in the first place?

It seems hard to believe that the preflop raiser wouldn't raise with a full house since he would probably have aces over kings or something which he would want to get value from. So he more likely has either trip aces that he's uncertain of or QQ or something that he thinks may be good but only because he doesn't believe the bettor. Or maybe he has the KK underboat? And what does the bettor have? Underboat? Bluff? I was pretty confused here and wasn't sure whether I took the right line at all. Any and all comments appreciated. Not only on the river - I debated different lines preflop, flop, and turn, too.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

TWP ($400)
SB ($992.50)
BB ($394)
UTG ($571.65)
MP ($409.10)
CO ($453.20)

Preflop: TWP is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $15</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, TWP calls $15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $11.

Flop: ($47) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, TWP checks.

Turn: ($47) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, MP calls $4, TWP calls $4.

River: ($59) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $40</font>, MP calls $40, TWP...?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Small flush on paired board

Fold pre-flop?

Other than that I call the river.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM

There is absolutely no way I raise here. While I don't think MP has much, BB springing to life like that is scary. AK is definitely possible, as is a higher flush.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB springing to life like that is scary.

[/ QUOTE ]
min bet on turn + 2/3 bet on river = springing to life?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it not?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]
Min bet seems weird. What do you think it means?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I dunno. I mean it could be a really terrible set--&gt;full house, trying to get people to draw dead, and pumping the pot when the flush hits. Could be AK, but that just seems wierd. To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked to see KK here, some people don't reraise PF cuz they are douchebags, he checks the flop (which is correct, as played), bets on the turn (too small obviously, but with the A pairing I think is proper) and then pumps the rivered boat.

Could also be a flush draw.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Min bet seems weird. What do you think it means?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pair + newly found flush draw.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:02 PM

I tend to think they both have trips, but in the heat of the moment I probably wouldnt trust my read enough to raise, so I'd call.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM

Fold preflop.

I'm a fish, so I'm trying to steal that pot on the flop with a bet of $40 or so. If no one has an ace, they are hardpressed to call you. It's your only chance to take the pot outside of runner runner cards, and so I would take a stab at it. I mean, you're playing this cheese for a reason, right? Outplay 'em postflop and all that.

As played, no way you can raise that river. Although...I think your main concern is a higher flush from BB. Would he lay it down to your push thinking you had a boat? Possibly, but IMO you just take the cheap showdown and win it a few times, lose it a few times.

EDIT: primary concern is the flush. But, weird boats are also too possible making this just a river call.