Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 06:47 AM

Default All in with AQs from UTG+1 I get too much action.

Hello my 2+2 Mentors!

I'm not sure if my thinking is correct on this hand, please comment.

I've just moved up to the .25/.50 NL game from the .10/.25

I've been finding this table quite profitable. I've bought in for $10 I've just doubled up and then lost a little back.

Reads:VP$IP/PRF/AF

MP2 21.25/11.25/13
MP3 55.26/10.53/1.33
UTG 81.82/36.36/2

Hero 18.75/8.63/2.95

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

MP3 ($11.70)
CO ($51.05)
Button ($45.95)
SB ($44.50)
BB ($19.60)
UTG ($51.70)
Hero ($21.95)
MP1 ($19.50)
MP2 ($129.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $4.5</font>, MP3 calls $4.50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls $4, Hero calls $2.

Warning bells go off in my head when the MP2 reraises me!

But 2 other players calls so I call for two more dollars.

I'm thinking to myself, "My hand plays well multiplayer since I'm suited and I'm getting good pot odds, but I'm probably not the favorite to win ... Lets see the flop."

Flop: ($18.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">

UTG has shown down some really weak hands, I'd like to play heads up against him I see that MP2 (the re-raiser has a Went to SD of 15% so I see if I can push him off that hand. MP3 is kinda loose so I wouldn't mind if he stays in.

So I push all in...

Like it?

Hero raises to $17.45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $107.75</font>, MP3 calls $7.20 (All-In), UTG calls $42.20 (All-In).

I didn't want this much action.

Turn: ($198.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($198.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $198.35

comments.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: All in with AQs from UTG+1 I get too much action.

Multiway or not, I fold this pre-flop. Post-flop, the hand plays itself.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Kongo,

You fold AQs preflop?

Do you mean before or after the re-raise?

If you mean before the re-raise, what are your starting hand requirements AK and high pairs?

If you mean after the preflop raise I figured I didn't have the best hand but I'm getting more than the 8 to 1 so I called.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 AM

At a full ring game, I'll fold A-J almost every time UTG unless my table reads make me think it's a profitable hand. Against 9 unknowns, it hits the muck. A-Q, s00ted or not, isn't that far behind...especially at low limits like this. Position is everything. At the low limits, I avoid situations like this like the plague. There are always better spots to get your money in.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Kongo,

You fold AQs preflop?

If you mean before the re-raise, what are your starting hand requirements AK and high pairs?

If you mean after the preflop raise I figured I didn't have the best hand but I'm getting more than the 8 to 1 so I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold to the re-raise. What are you hoping to flop here?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Kongo,

You fold AQs preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold to the re-raise. What are you hoping to flop here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like a flush draw or an ace or even better a queen. I probably won't win but it only costs $2 to see a pot of over $16.

At worst case I'm against AA which would give me about 13% chance of winning.

VS AK, QQ or KK I'm at least a 30% chance of winning.

So although I probably won't win more than about 30% of the time, I'm getting pot odds of 8 to 1 so I figured it's a clear call.

The first limper UTG has a VP$IP over 80% I put him on ... almost anything, I came into this hand raising $2.50 trying to isolate this guy.

The player with a VP$IP about 50% I put on two high cards and up...
The reraiser with the VP$IP in the low 20's ... I put on AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ maybe TT, 99...
Old 08-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Hey Derick,

I agree you should fold to the reraise preflop. There are a couple of reasons for doing so:

1.) Drawing to a flush OOP is difficult to do... you'll rarely be getting the kind of price you need to draw. Also, remember you'll hit exactly 3 more cards of your suit like ~5 or 6% of the time after all the cards are out. One of the things TJ Cloutier wrote in one of his books that I agree with is that you should treat being suited as a little added luxury... not something that should place a lot of emphasis on in deciding whether or not to call a reraise.

2.) You have bad reverse implied odds here. If he's reraising you with KK and an ace flops, you aren't going to win too much. Conversely, if he's reraising you here with KK and a Q flops, you'll probably be paying him off the whole way. At the same time, if he has AK and an ace flops, well, you're kind of in a mess then too, right?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 AM

just push preflop

post flop...with your short stack there is no decision.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just push preflop

post flop...with your short stack there is no decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi swolfe,

Push preflop?!

That's interesting. I was afraid to get it all in preflop because I reraiser may have me beat already with AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ. I was calling because I figured I was getting good odds with all the deadmoney from the cold callers.

Can you elaborate about why you would push preflop. I never even considered pushing preflop (I'm a crappy player)

derick
Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push preflop?!

That's interesting. I was afraid to get it all in preflop because I reraiser may have me beat already with AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ. I was calling because I figured I was getting good odds with all the deadmoney from the cold callers.

Can you elaborate about why you would push preflop. I never even considered pushing preflop (I'm a crappy player)

[/ QUOTE ]

you raised, were minraised, and there were two callers.

the pot is $16 (before your call) with $2 for you to call.

you have less than $20...

to maximize your chance of winning the pot you want to be heads up. if you 3-bet all-in, you may be in a race situation with the minraiser, but i doubt anyone else will call. if everyone folds, you net $13.5.

if minraiser (and only the minraiser) calls, and has an underpair, then you're 48% to win, and would net out roughly $4.5 in EV.

even if there's one other caller with another underpair to you (and they both go to showdown), you're over 33% to win and have a small overlay from the one that folded.

throw in the other caller with a suited connector, and you're still around 30% to win and getting 3:1 on your money.