Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Yet another AA hand for review

Both villains in this hand are about 60/8. with around average post flop aggression. I wake up with AA in the BB and luckily find it's been raised before it gets to me. Please critique my play preflop, on the flop and turn, and let me know if any of you play this differently.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($67.15)
SB ($142.50)
Hero ($102.10)
UTG ($39.80)
MP ($80.45)
CO ($153.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP calls $12, CO folds, Button calls $10, SB folds.

Flop: ($39) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, MP calls $30, Button calls $30.

Turn: ($129) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero calls $60.10 (All-In), MP folds, Button calls $25.15 (All-In).

River: ($214.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $214.25
Old 07-21-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Yet another AA hand for review

Looks fine. Your preflop reraise was so large it forced the money in on the turn, and it you got outflopped or anything, that's bad luck. That's a huge reraise and I sort of question how often that gets called. Here you got lucky and got two people to come along, but in general I would think about 6-8 would be plenty. But if people will call it, then keep doing it.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 PM

your preflop raise indicates AA/KK, so obviously people are drawing uphill...

the button's small raise preflop could mean a medium pair JJ - 77 or med suited connectors, JT, 98 etc.. which looking at the board at showdown, appears bad for you. when you came over the top preflop and got action from MP, prolly decent odds for the button to call with any drawing hand...
Old 07-21-2005, 02:54 PM

The only thing I don't like is the pot sized bet on the flop. I would think a bet of $15-$20 would suffice. It would help better see where you are in the hand, and may let you get away from the hand on the turn if you felt you were beat. It looks like a way behind/way ahead situation, and the cold call of $30 is just frightening. Looks like button has a set of jacks.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:33 PM

Anyone think the smaller bet is a good idea? That's a relatively draw heavy board, and I think I have to be worried really only about j 10, or KQ on this flop. I don't think the button has JJ. Anyone with JJ would have raised more with limpers to try to get it heads up rather than make a nuisance raise. My thinking was i'm either up against 2 pair, and i have outs to improve, or my opponents are drawing and hoping to hit their draw which I need to charge them for.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:51 PM

Djoyce-

I see your point, but I guess I disagree that it is a draw heavy board. I find it hard to believe that button calls your raise with with K-Q or Q-9 (SB has not called yet, so he really has no pot odds). Even if he has K-Q you are still charging just about right with a $15-$20 flop bet without committing yourself if a scary card comes on the turn.

My other thought was that he could have KK and min raised looking for action. That is why I was thinking way ahead/way behind.

If he flat called the raise with J-10, then that just sucks!

I'm assuming it did not turn out well for you??
Old 07-21-2005, 04:04 PM

this is completely fine.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I don't like is the pot sized bet on the flop. I would think a bet of $15-$20 would suffice. It would help better see where you are in the hand, and may let you get away from the hand on the turn if you felt you were beat. It looks like a way behind/way ahead situation, and the cold call of $30 is just frightening. Looks like button has a set of jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

both villains are fish. hero is not even close to deep enough to be afraid of pot committal in this hand. IMO betting $15 on the flop is disastrous.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:16 PM

I don't think the flop bet is bad, though I do kind of like the idea of maybe betting something like 22-26. But obviously that's relatively minor. I don't think you can worry about pushing a draw out. If some moron calls 12 preflop with just K-Q or Q-9, they're probably not letting go after that flop. They just don't know any better. And once you bet out 30 and get called by BOTH of them, I'm thinking most of the time you're way behind. I'm not sure I want to put much more into this pot. I probably check the turn and possibly fold if someone tries to put me all in, depending open my read on their play so far. I realize you would only have 60-65 left into a pretty good pot, but again, I think that the vast majority of the time two people calling 30 after the flop with that board is BIG trouble for aces. That's part of the reason I like a slightly smaller flop bet. 25 should be enough to push out any silly draws, but it save you just a little more. Again, 30 is not really any different. But this board is definitely not the best flop with AA and two callers.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:18 PM

I like it all around. Vs these donks, you may want to raise to even more than $12 preflop, with the notion that you will be committed to the hand the whole way because their play is so bad.

Your play is fine.

Ryan