Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Tip jars. Your thoughts.

I find these things repulsive. To me its like people on the street begging. I think it is in bad taste to have one of these sitting out.

Why should I tip the starbucks guy money for making my mocha. He gets an hourly rate at least minimum wage. The way I understand tips is this In resturants tips are to help the waitstaff who make less than minimum wage.

I do tip when I catch a cab get my hair cut or get a pizza delivered.

Tip cups drive me nuts in places like gas staions or fastfood joints.

Discuss
Old 11-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Tip jars. Your thoughts.

gas stations and fast food shouldn't have tip jars. however i think coffee shops are different and i know people who work there would argue that, too.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM

I think there is already a thread on this.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gas stations and fast food shouldn't have tip jars. however i think coffee shops are different and i know people who work there would argue that, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

how are they different?

obviously people that work there would say they are. that's a no-brainer, which coincidentally is the name i like to give to people working at coffee shops.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coffee shops are no different than fast food. The same amount of work is involved in serving a Big Mac & Soda as a Muffin and Coffee.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coffee shops are no different than fast food. The same amount of work is involved in serving a Big Mac & Soda as a Muffin and Coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get very many espresso drinks, and I definitely don't tip at Fourbucks or anywhere else when they just pour a cup of coffee. However, when I do get get an espresso drink, I've had some where the milk was very nicely frothed and some where they guy pretty much just warmed it up (I'm talking lattes, which is my drink of choice).

I'm willing to part with the extra 35 cents or whatever in the former case. If they make it so the drink comes out to an exact dollar amount, well, they're out of luck...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 PM

at the deli/bakery/bagel breakfast place I go to 5 days a week I tip a dollar on top of a 5-10$ meal. the people who work there know me and what i usually order, they do a good job and i get served quick so i tip. i pretty much never tip at coffeeshops or other similiar places that im not a regular at.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there is already a thread on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 PM

McDonalds, Burger King, and other fast food type places where I am getting [censored] service they aren't getting anything. Locally run deli, burrito place, other slightly nicer take out places, sure I'll throw them a tip. Probably has something to do with the fact that I know a lot more people working at the places slightly higher up the food chain, including my roomate.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They really aren't close. Serving fries/big mac is easy. At the coffee shop they make each drink individually. You order a drink, someone doesn't grab it from a rake- they do whatever they do (heat it milk, mix things, stir, top, etc whatever). There are actually international competitions for the world's top barestsa (those who makes drinks). Apparently, they think it's an art.