Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

[ QUOTE ]
What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't excuse you from being courteous to the person that catered to your every whim during your dinner. When I'm at work, I'm doing you a service, so I expect to get fairly compensated for it.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So easy to say if you've never been a server at a restaurant before. Go wait tables for your main source of income, and watch your attitude change.

I do expect at least $10 from a $102 tab with good service, no matter how much you think that I suck for thinking that the "world owes me something" in the way of tips. Again, if you haven't served before, then you will not understand where I'm coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I have. I waited tables and bartended for several years. The people that you wait on don't owe you anything. And automatically expecting them to throw money at you regardless of the service you provide is just pathetic. Some will tip a lot. Some won't tip at all. You can either accept that or spend all your time pissed off. The latter is just stupid.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the responses so I'm sure I'm just repeating, but this is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. The world doesn't owe you anything. If you do a crappy job you don't deserve anything. Also, this will happen in your line of work. If you're going to whine about it everytime it happens, I suggest you find another job. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

[/ QUOTE ]

So easy to say if you've never been a server at a restaurant before. Go wait tables for your main source of income, and watch your attitude change.

I do expect at least $10 from a $102 tab with good service, no matter how much you think that I suck for thinking that the "world owes me something" in the way of tips. Again, if you haven't served before, then you will not understand where I'm coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you completely missing the point that infact many of us have chosen not wait tables because of issues like this? I'm not advocating stiffing a waiter but you chose a profession where your main source of income would be at the complete discretion of those you serve. No one made you do this.

Seriously you sound like someone who has become a pro poker player and now wants to bitch about variance. You're coming off ridiculous.

If this is your attitude then I think considerable weight has to be given to the possibility that you could be completely oblivious to whether of not you provided good service.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't excuse you from being courteous to the person that catered to your every whim during your dinner. When I'm at work, I'm doing you a service, so I expect to get fairly compensated for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you expect compensation, you should speak with your employer. However, in your op you stated you expect compensation whether you provide good service or not. This is not the same as catering to someone's every whim. You really need to get your story straight before you start whining like this.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I have. I waited tables and bartended for several years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected then.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is your attitude then I think considerable weight has to be given to the possibility that you could be completely oblivious to whether of not you provided good service.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how exactly you divined this. The service I gave was fine, and there's not much else that I can say.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like all these posts that say tipping is completely optional followed by "oh, but I'm not one of those scumbag bad tippers. I always leave 15%."

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you don't leave that disclaimer people will always just accuse you of being cheap. makes no sense to me, like i've already stated, this whole issue has nothing to do with being cheap.

it's sad that people think that just because you argue for what's right (tipping being optional and a way to show you appreciate good service) you have to be somehow against tipping.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how exactly you divined this. The service I gave was fine, and there's not much else that I can say.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was fine according to you.

Most people tip especially when there is a large check. Therefore when no tip has been left there is a much higher chance that the service was poor.

We can't know whether your service was indeed "fine". What we know is this.

There was a large check

most people tip unless they were not happy with the service

you seem to be displaying an attitude where your customers owe you a tip, as oppossed to you needing to earn a tip.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, in your op you stated you expect compensation whether you provide good service or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just being realistic here. Since you've done this job, what was the usual tip if you didn't do such a hot job on a table for one reason or another? For me, it's somewhere around 10%. Most servers where I work would agree.

Also, when I say "a not so hot job," I don't mean disappearing into the kitchen for an hour and a half while they try to track me down to get refills. No, I mean getting refills a little late, forgetting about something like tabasco sauce, etc. The former server probably doesn't deserve to get fairly compensated, considering he's not even doing his job. If I AM doing my job, then I do expect to make some money on a table.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:06 PM

Well again, there's not much that I can say that'll make you believe me one way or another. You can sit there and assume that my service was poor, but nobody besides myself was there. The fact that I'm an 18-20% server should tell you that I'm not half bad at the job.

Again, there's nothing else to say here.