Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 02:00 AM

Default plyer decieving weekend at Ultimate Bet

I usually play SNG's but now and then I play low buy in MTTs. UB was promoting money added tourneys this weekend I thought well if they are adding money I am gonna play.
But I didn't notice they weren;t adding any money to the prize pool and they were adding money to the prize pool guarantee. All the tourney names on the main tournaments tab reads like "3000 money added" while they weren't adding any money to the prize pool. This looks like a blunt attempt to decieve people and this promotion is ironically called "Player appreciation weekend".
Just wanted to warn low buy in MTT players here...
Cem
Old 08-28-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: plyer decieving weekend at Ultimate Bet

[ QUOTE ]
I usually play SNG's but now and then I play low buy in MTTs. UB was promoting money added tourneys this weekend I thought well if they are adding money I am gonna play.
But I didn't notice they weren;t adding any money to the prize pool and they were adding money to the prize pool guarantee. All the tourney names on the main tournaments tab reads like "3000 money added" while they weren't adding any money to the prize pool. This looks like a blunt attempt to decieve people and this promotion is ironically called "Player appreciation weekend".
Just wanted to warn low buy in MTT players here...
Cem

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they are deceptive, but all of the ones I've seen do add money, just not as much as the guarentee amount. For instance the 2am one today was called "$1600 Money Added" (5+.5) and if you look at the tournament details what this means is that the prize pool is guarenteed to be at least $1,600. Plus for this event, they're ADDING $1000 on top of the guarentee. So it is an overlay free roll (they got 416 people, and the prize pool was $2,600 which is the $1,600+$1,000). Now it isn't really $1000 money added either as 416*5 = 2080 so a bonus $1000 would be 3080. But it still is a starting EV of $6.25 for your $5.50 entry fee. So really these should be called a $2600 guarenteed instead of a $1600 money added tournament.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:34 PM

That's patently misleading. If its' a money added event, one would expect cash added. A guaranteed event may involve adding money, or not. That's the way it is on pokerroom and it makes logical sense.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:59 PM

i don't play much at UB in the first place...but it's crap like this that brings me closer and closer to NEVER playing there again (Aruba qualifiers be damned).

You may also have noticed some of their previous promotional stuff this month for 'Win your way to Aruba FOR FREE'.
Well, I would expect this to mean that you can actually play some sort of freeroll to qualify for a satellite to win a seat. Something like that.

But THEIR definition of 'FOR FREE' means that you play their satellite with some sort of bounty.I think it was a 20+2 rebuy satellite with a $100 bounty on one player.
They go on to explain that IF you win the bounty AND THEN also win the seat...well..you are getting back $78 AND you're going to Aruba.

Ummmm...excuse me. This is not the same as winning it FOR FREE.
This is just winning an extra $100 on top of the Aruba package.
If they suddenly decided to give you an extra $100 in the package would that make it 'for free'?? Nope. That would just be some kind of a small overlay.

Putting a bounty out there that one person can win is NOT the same as winning it for free.
I'm paying $22 to enter the thing, aren't I?
How is that free??

This whole 'money-added' nonsense and 'win for free but you have to pay $22 to do it' is REALLY terrible.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:34 PM

The money added tournaments are currently being paid out wrong, but UB says they will manually update the accounts. I.e., it is a bug in the tournament software, not manipulative advertising.