Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: GiftofGab, Spirit Rock, Hassan Slask etc.

lmfao

now i know where all the acid went after Phish stopped touring. good one Kane.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:59 PM

Me and El Diablo yes; Bruiser no. Bruiser is using these forums effectively to learn. I do not.

I do not like to post hands for several reasons. Mainly because many of you play in my pond. Secondarily because it is hard to get good feedback. Too bad because I would love an intensive poker discussion group of higher-level players at which we discussed the as-yet-undiscussed of no limit. Much of that has to do with so-called LAG play, or my current T/LAG play, and with the untapped well of heads up and 3-handed no limit. I do not post significant information often and find myself cancelling posts, some of them very long.

I am mostly self-taught and discussion taught. I had a coach early on; I do not play like him now except for fundamentals. I have never finished Theory of Poker. I have skimmed Harrington's book - got pretty much nothing out of that but it's a good book. Basically I think about hands I screwed up.

Two factors stand out for me among the supposedly successful hyperLAG "independents": they seem to bypass limit (huge) and they have no fear. Also, they are part of the insider poker community. They talk hands, believe me. More importantly, they talk about opponents.

Oh, and Kane got maligned in this thread. Hopefully his feelings were not hurt. ;-)

Matt
Old 08-10-2005, 11:15 PM

"Too bad because I would love an intensive poker discussion group of higher-level players at which we discussed the as-yet-undiscussed of no limit."

yeah that is too bad
Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 PM

Danny the forum is too big with too many lurkers. I'd be shooting myself in the foot.

I do appreciate your attitude though.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 PM

good post matt. I've learned a lot from these forums but learned more by analyzing hands and responding to posts than I have by posting my own hands. I don't post many hands because most I play that I find interesting have too much to do with table texture and personal history and that's hard to convey.

a good friend of mine is a largely self taught NL player, and I've talked through tons of hands with him. interestingly enough he is plenty LAG but played limit before starting NL. he plays higher than me but knows my play well enough to offer pretty specific, valuable advice.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-10-2005, 11:50 PM

what happened to the people you started playing with that you got to be great friends with?

do any of them still play?

im reminded of the Lederer/Seidel/Harrington/etc connection

i have a few college buddies who are building bankrolls and we can talk about anything we want b/c if we play together its usually for bragging rights and we all want each other to succeed
Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 AM

for what it's worth I used to hear about all these guys a lot at the old pot limit game in nyc. jay heimowitz was part of this scene and gets a lot of respect from old school nyc ppl.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-11-2005, 01:22 AM

the big success stories come and go. most had a time when things went well with the cards, and a time when they inherited money from another place, and a time when they played like they were from outer space. in the end only a few survive as most players crack at some point and lose most of what they made in the past. and find it too hard to go back down and grind out from where they started. they just keep firing hoping to regain past glory. doesnt work except in the few cases when they go on a streak and it looks like they are back in the saddle again.
losse aggessive players that are on top of their game will terrorize a short handed game like you never can believe. but that same flash of brillance is the down fall at the time when you lose it. it is only a very few that report back to the basics of good play fundamentals.
lag play will get the money from those you can manipulate well and will at the same time break you if you cant diiferentiate those that are not in your bag.
most of the big winners do not appear from nowhere. you will find a link back to games in some other place where they were the best and moved on to greener pastures.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the big success stories come and go. most had a time when things went well with the cards, and a time when they inherited money from another place, and a time when they played like they were from outer space. in the end only a few survive as most players crack at some point and lose most of what they made in the past. and find it too hard to go back down and grind out from where they started. they just keep firing hoping to regain past glory. doesnt work except in the few cases when they go on a streak and it looks like they are back in the saddle again.
losse aggessive players that are on top of their game will terrorize a short handed game like you never can believe. but that same flash of brillance is the down fall at the time when you lose it. it is only a very few that report back to the basics of good play fundamentals.
lag play will get the money from those you can manipulate well and will at the same time break you if you cant diiferentiate those that are not in your bag.
most of the big winners do not appear from nowhere. you will find a link back to games in some other place where they were the best and moved on to greener pastures.

[/ QUOTE ]
no more needs to be said.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:51 AM

Baby Jesus just loves them a little more.