Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Is getting away from AA on the flop here too tight?

Party 0.50/1, rather loose-passive table overall, BB's stats through 423 hands are 45.28/2.27/0.28, loose-passive fish but will raise preflop with a really premium hand, say AA-QQ, AK, maybe JJ and AQ. When I got check-raised on this flop by a player who is generally that passive postflop, I decided to throw away my AA, seeing as how 1) the pot was relatively small, 2) the only hand I think a passive player like him would raise here and I could beat would be KK (I'm not putting him on AA because I have two of the aces), and I'm not putting him on that because he didn't reraise me postflop, and 3) he has done nothing in the previous 400 hands to show me that he has the check-raise bluff in his arsenal. I have to put him on Qx, I think, and decided to not get married to my AA and mucked it.

Was this a good laydown, or are there enough another hands he could possibly have here to see the hand through?

--Scott

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, [color=#666666]3 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, [color=#666666]3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB
Old 10-28-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Is getting away from AA on the flop here too tight?

I think it's fine - an unknown I call down though
Old 10-28-2005, 11:55 PM

I don't like it. With such small PFR stats, he might not be 3 betting say, KK and JJ post flop. Maybe he looks for a safe flop, and then thinks he's good on a paired board. I'd at least see a turn.

I've just seen so many totally uncharacteristic plays lately that I can't make this laydown. I don't think it is a bad laydown though, I'd just think we can pay the SB here.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:05 AM

I think it's possible that you folded a smaller PP or even worse a pair of threes. Even loose passive fish know better and slowplay the flop with trips.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:08 AM

I realize you're new here, but please preview your posts. If you have a bunch of garbage in your post, fix it. In your case, you forgot to chage the converter to converting to FTR format instead of 2+2.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:27 AM

It really depends on the read. I like trusting reads if you've proven they are solid.

Here is one I dropped on the flop. All 3 players were unknowns (I only had 10 hands with button an he appeared passive, the other two were on their first orbit).

I couldn't see being ahead and I don't like drawing to a 2 outer that completes a straight draw (albeit unlikely) even though I have a BDFD. I'm not as worried about MP2 (although frankly I'm convinced I have him beta) as I am MP3 or button. What hand would MP3 3 bet PF and then 3 bet on the flop. He can't have the nut flush draw (I have the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) which leads me to either KK or QQ both of which I'm drawing really thin. What do you put button on that he called 3 cold PF and on the flop? If it isn't capped I'm getting 30:2 on my call. If this is capped, I'll be getting 33:3 on my call. Maybe I'm biased by how bad I've been running with AA (winning at a 30-40% rate the last week or so) but it seems like an easy fold.

Thoughts?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, Hero folds
Old 10-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Okay, definitely a crappy flop with AA, but you can't necessarily rule out AK for MP3 and any two for the other donks. You do have two outs to the A (it's unlikely anyone has JT here) plus the BDFD. That's enough for me to peel one. If you don't improve on the turn and the action stays intense, then you can drop it. But the pot's WAY too big to fold AA on the flop here.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:41 AM

Against unknowns at these limits I think it is unprofitable to fold here, the pot is too big. I think I cap the flop and lead the turn. Call down one raise on the turn but not two. If turn is raised, check/call the river.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 AM

How dare you two post actually interesting AA hands! This second one has me really torn.