Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Those of you who have this as a part time job and are also a stude

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, are you learning Java?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been out of CS for a couple years now, but am I nieve by thinking someone who's teaching theirself the A+, NET +, MCSE, and CCNA then they probably know C?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, none of the certifications he is working toward (A+, Net+, CCNA, or MCSE) require any low-level programming knowledge, as he will be a network engineer when he is done with that course of study. When somebody is learning C(++), then they are studying to be a programmer/software engineer, which is quite a different field of study. (I actually have done both - started out as a software engineer, but have migrated to systems administration and networks because I found sitting around programming for 60 hours a week was far too boring for me.)
Old 01-16-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know most of you tend to do half a day of classes/studying and a half day of poker (or whatever). How do you keep on schedule on a consistent basis and avoid binging on one or the other (yes, I have an addictive personality)

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldnt and didnt. I have a BA in Math and Physics and half way through graduate school I realized I had to make a desicion. Pursue a mathamatical carreer, or pursue a carreer in poker. So thats what I did, and here I am.

later
Old 01-19-2005, 04:53 AM

4th year Materials Engineering here.

I just play for fun whenever now.
No time for anything but schoolwork.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I find myself either totally caught up in studies not wanting to play poker or totally caught up in poker not wanting to study.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm exactly the same...exactly. And its not just poker, before poker it was always something else. For four years i've been going through these 'swings' and i can't seen to find a happy medium.

I'm finishing off a double major in physics/philosophy and its starting to take its toll. I've actually been thinking about this thread for a few days, trying to figure out how i can study more. Maybe 1 hour of study for every hour of poker per day(minimum)?, but i dunno, if i haven't figured it out after 4 years i don't know if/when i will.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:53 AM

I actually quit my computer programming job to play poker full-time. I'm not making as much playing poker as I was at my job (yet, but hopefully soon). However, my life is much more enjoyable as the 9-5 office job is just not for me. Every pasture looks greener from the other side.