Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-07-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: 2/4 NL. Someone explain this to me

why would you bet the turn here?

I can understand if there was no sidepot but essentially you are putting in $225 to win $100. Even if it is a semibluff there are much better times.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:51 AM

Before we all start calling villain a donk, I think you should give us the most important piece of information for this hand, your table image. If you've been playing like a maniac, it was your mistake for semi-bluffing the turn. If you've been playing like a rock... then let the d0nK bashing begin!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:00 AM

The flop raise was OKAY, if on the shakey side. However, teh turn bet, in my opinion, simply wasn't worth it.

Flop bet was shakey because you said the UTG had very little money left... therefore, if he had anything, including a good ace high, he'd be justified in calling.

Turn bet was REAL shakey because you're betting over 200 to win the 100 in the side pot there. Take the freecard and hope for the best. Since UTG is all in there, there if very little chance UTG will bluff on the river, for the same reasons that you shouldn't bluff on the turn.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:22 AM

So, is the conclusion that I should have checked the turn, and that he made a donkey call(as opposed to having a hole in my game that he exploited)?

My image(if anyone cares at that level was tight). I hadn't really dont much, maybe a one or two raises and CBets, but I cant think of any hand that went beyond the flop.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Just call the flop, why are you raising in this spot on this flop given that UTG is almost certain to call, and there are loads of ppl still to act.

Just call the 15, watch utg go all-in for 17, hope for several callers and if anybody raises, then you might consider pushing when it gets back to you on a big semi-bluff. If nobody raises, then you might see a free river, and if not well you have lots and lots of outs on the turn, so you can even call a pot bet there.

You have a lovely draw, why do you want to shut out callers?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 AM

you called a min raise in BB so it looks like you could have flopped a wild two pair. set is also possible on that draw-y board. given what you actually had i think the play is also correct on turn if you think hell fold.

what theyre giving you is after-the-fact analysis, if you win the big side pot against the UTG AI then your play wouldnt be so poorly critiqued by the table players.

you got caught thats all. they may be downtalking you because they dont want to be bluffed on a later hand.