Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-11-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Just recently moved up to NL200. Taking one-pair hands too far?

I just moved up to NL200, and I have a feeling that I might be getting too aggressive and backing my stack too often with TPTK or overpairs. Does anyone who just made the transition from Party NL100 to NL200 know what I'm talking about? I'm finding that there are A LOT more LAGs at NL200 than NL100, a lot more people who will raise my continuation bets without anything good, and as a result, I think my playing style has changed. (even against unknowns, which I think might be a bad thing?) Anyway, onto the hand. Villain just sat down about 10 hands ago, so no reads. Comments?

Hero: $406.45
Villain: $198.00

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Villain limps UTG, 3 folds, Hero raises to $8.00, BB folds, Villain calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> POT: $18.00
Hero bets $15.00, Villain raises to $35.00, Hero calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> POT: $88.00
Hero checks, Villain bets $75.00, Hero pushes. (Villain has $80.00 left)
Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Just recently moved up to NL200. Taking one-pair hands too far?

[ QUOTE ]
there are A LOT more LAGs at NL200 than NL100, a lot more people who will raise my continuation bets without anything good

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I played vs. you last night. Do you remember that idiot who was whining at you all session about one bad beat?

I stacked him and he left with $13.20 telling us about how he was up $10k this month.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:17 PM

i can see pushing the flop here.. unless he limped with AA or 99 i think you've got him killed.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played vs. you last night. Do you remember that idiot who was whining at you all session about one bad beat?

I stacked him and he left with $13.20 telling us about how he was up $10k this month.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's your screen name? (so I can avoid you next time [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) Yea, I remember that guy. I was having so much fun trying to get him to go on a crazy tilt. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 AM

TPTK is much more likely to be good at 200nl than say 100nl.

having said that, you will have to risk paying off sets in order to get paid off from guys testing you as well as pushing them off better hand when you have no pair.

its a delicate balance.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:20 AM

It doesn't look too bad, the only hand I can put villain on that you're behind is 99. If he is a lag, this doesn't really seem like the time to get away from TPTK.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 AM

Making this play will make you more money than it will lose you at this level. I know what you're talking about on that transition though, just make sure you keep making your continuation bets and keep getting paid off. I've found that you really want to keep it simple at 1/2, and make sure you bet early, build pots and people will pay you off.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:40 AM

No read, i probably give it up on turn to near pot bet.
If he is a donk, or aggressive player continually pushing you off hands, not a bad place to get it in.

Bottom line, he limps UTG and calls your raise pf, then raises you on flop and puts in real bet on turn. He's not on draw; you hope hes also got slick.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the comments. Villain called. River was 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and villain showed A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It's a delicate balance. I'll have to remember that. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:56 PM

I like what amoeba said, "it's a delicate balance."

In this spot, I don't like bet-calling the flop. I'm either bet-folding or bet-pushing. Check-raising is worth considering but I'd need a very solid read on the opponent as a near-maniac to try it.

I don't like bet-calling for two reasons. First, the villan is representing exactly a set, and it's not unlikely that he has it. Second, if he is semibluffing a pair + diamond draw type hand, he needs to pay more deeply to continue. calling the flop raise then leading the turn for the pot is worth considering, but it gives him one of his cards. I prefer to raise here. Given stack sizes, I think any raise needs to be a push.