Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Family situation, need some advice

[ QUOTE ]
How much money would I have to pay you to take over that deal from you? Would you pay that same amount to piss off your mom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:19 PM

Your mom gives you stuff and uses this to leverage you into obeying her. Consider how much the first benefits you, and how much the latter costs you, and decide whether or not you want to give that up.

The benefit is having the truck. The costs are $350 and whatever your mom makes you do that you don't like.

Giving up the truck has a relatively high replacement cost; buying a new vehicle takes a major chunk out of your net worth/bankroll. My point: consider that.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Getting free of bs and strings > keeping truck but continuing to deal with this nonsense.

i can afford working extra over the school year to save for a car of my own if I have to.

besides, i've essentially called her bluff
Old 08-06-2005, 06:23 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
besides, i've essentially called her bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

meaning they decided they're going to pay for it, or they're ok with waiting a year for you to pay it or what ?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:26 PM

that it's come down to a fair disagreement of opinion at the moment and the threats have stopped. Meaning, as I figured, that I'm about 95% certain she's not selling the truck for a variety of reasons.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think some of you need to re-read the post the parents are in no way a-holes.
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, the way with everything my mom and stepdad give me, is that every "gift" is conditional. My truck, my cell phone, the cell phone service, are all taken hostage when we have a disagreement. In essence these "gifts" aren't even mine, I'm just using them from my parents under the condition that I *obey*.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good deal if you ask me. If you want control of objects you need to purchase them yourself. If your thinking your parents are trying to take advantage of you and want to see you fail in college you are deeply mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of agree here with this post.

First off, I know how you feel. Let me ask you this. Do your parents pay for your cell phone bill? You said they pay the insurance and other costs for the truck. That isn't cheap. The poster that said until you buy and care for the costs of all the stuff you own you'll always be subject to their control of those objects is correct.

Secondly,
Have a conversation with your parents. Tell them that when they give you something and then use it against you that it makes you feel like they never really gave it to you.

Maybe they need to be more communicative and tell you when they give you something that there are conditions attached.
Ask them to, before they give you something, come to you and tell you what the conditions are. You can then decide whether or not you want to recieve the gift.

Thirdly. Ask yourself this: "If when they first gave you the truck and told you the condition was that if something happened to it they would want you to take care of it right away" would you still have accepted the truck?

Your parents actually sound like good people. They gave you a car, a cellphone, etc...They may have some control issues but that's ok. Believe me, nobody's parents are perfect. If this is the worst they do then your WAY ahead of the pack.

They seem, only from the info on your post, like well intentioned people. Personally, I'd pay for repair of the truck. They've been paying the "utilities" on it since giving to you. In an ideal world they wouldn't have asked and you'd have fixed the truck. Since the world is far from ideal I'd just sit and talk with them about it and get the communication going.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can afford working extra over the school year to save for a car of my own if I have to

[/ QUOTE ]

Get better at poker, and you won't have to say thing like "work". If you've only got $2000 lying around and you're in high school (where you spend no money), you're either not that good or you spend too much time posting in OOT.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:32 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
you're either not that good or you spend too much time posting in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]
why one or the other ? both apply to me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 06:32 PM

I spend too much time in OOT.

In July I hit a wall b/c my poker roll was too large a % of what I had overall, and I got scared. Played smaller, posted more in OOT. Doh.

Will be different (and better) when college starts. Hopefully I can 8-table the 33's on two monitors by next summer.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Update

[ QUOTE ]

She didn't address the action she was going to take, but said the issue at hand was more my responsibility with dealing with the issue and less with actually repairing the truck. I quote, "You have prioritized your
summer in a way that was meaningful only to you.... This isn't as much about
the truck as it is about you having accepted your responsibility for the
accident, which you did not."

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO. I hate to say it but your mom wins. Her points are right on the money. Between the ages of 1 and 22 we think mostly of ourselves. Of course I'm being general but those of us over the age of 30 know what I mean, lol.

My only fault with your mom was that she didn't first tell you this after YOU didn't come and discuss the situation with her after the truck got dented and just proceeded to say she'd sell the truck.