Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Percentage of Winning Online Players-According to Jackpot Jay

Keep in mind that these online stats must include a whole bunch of people who register, deposit $50 or $100, play like complete tools, lose their buy-in, and never come back. I doubt that only 8% of people who have been steadily playing for the past two or so years are winning players.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:06 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

then how do I have databases of 700k hands and 1.1 million hands that both say 40% win? where does the difference come from
Old 07-20-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then how do I have databases of 700k hands and 1.1 million hands that both say 40% win? where does the difference come from

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered the same thing. There must be something I'm not getting.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to have this 40% magic number. Except for maybe a few players, your sample size on each individual opponent is too small. It's pretty much telling you the average player wins only 40% of his sessions.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to have this 40% magic number. Except for maybe a few players, your sample size on each individual opponent is too small. It's pretty much telling you the average player wins only 40% of his sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nono. 40% are up money, not 40% win sessions.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nono. 40% are up money, not 40% win sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but the vast majority of the players you only have either one session on, or multiple sessions but only enough hands to add up to what we would consider one session for ourselves.

I'm saying the data we have is more comparable to session level data than a player's lifetime stats.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:51 AM

I'm assuming those numbers include people who deposit $100, lose it, and never come back.

I think those numbers are accurate. Now if you just look at players who have played regularly over a number of years, 8% would be very low IMO.

7-8% of 10 million people is 700,000-800,000 people a year who make at least a small profit. The "vast majority" that wouldn't quit their day job could mean anything, but let's say it's about 70% as well, so that's maybe 210,000 to 300,000 people that make a substantial profit. These numbers don't seem to far off to me. Of course vast majority could mean 90%, which drops that number to 70 or 80,000.