Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Micro-limit to NL multi-table

This question probably doesn't have a short answer, but a few tips and pointers would be great. I'm asking this question here because I feel like my thought process works alot like the players that are in this forum. What changes should a player make if they are used to playing .50/1 limit and they are planning to play in a $20, ~200 person, live, rebuy, MTT. Any changes in starting hand selection? Are pot odds going to go out the window? How high of a hand does it usually take to bet pot/go all in? Like I said, I'm not expecting much from this post but any responses will be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Micro-limit to NL multi-table

Tourney play is different than live play, and no limit is different than limit.

I think the short answer is to lurk and read as much as you can in the MTT forum - you'll get better answers there than most people here (inc. myself) can give.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:56 PM

pairs go up in value (sets win stacks), hands like KQo and even A3s go down in value. Hands like suited Ax and suited connectors are best to limp with on the end if you can get in cheap. Play tight early in the tourney and in early position.

it takes a lot more hand to call a raise with than it does to raise yourself.

when it gets late in the tourney and the blinds get big you are going to have to steal them now and then when you are in position, particularly when your stack is getting smaller. when your stack is really small, hold out for a good hand to go in with, you wont be able to steal the blinds.

like the previous poster said, go to the MTT board, i don't really know how to play them and this could be all wrong [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 01:32 PM

only advice i have to give is basically what they said.. small pairs and suited connecters go way up in value, big offsuit face cards go down because they can get you in traps easy. try not to make huge pots all the time unless your sure you have the nuts or youll bust early in the tourny. stealing blinds later in the tourny once it becomes a tighter game is a very important part of mtt play.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How high of a hand does it usually take to bet pot/go all in

[/ QUOTE ]
this doesn't have an answer other than "it depends."

i think another in a tourney like this you should try to avoid the good players and pick on the weaker ones where/when possible. patience and reads will also serve you well. i think another change from limit is that you can protect strong hands with larger bets (obviously). drawing becomes more expensive, but the implied odds are higher, since you can conceivably double up on any hand.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:11 PM

If I knew this I'd be making a lot more money...

I guess my main advice is that you have to be really careful about pushing with draws in a tourney, because going all in without the nuts is bad until near the end of the tourney and because variance is a killer in a tourney.

Also, re: things like BDFs. They're good if you're going all in on the flop. But don't bet the flop with the idea of having 4% more equity with a BDF, because if someone puts you all in on the turn your equity is reduced.

I haven't really studied tournament play academically though, so this is my best guess only.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:13 PM

in situations with deep stacks, pot odds are important.

With short-stacks, absolute equity is important, because you're trying to survive the hand.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:14 PM

BDFs?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:20 PM

Yep.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:21 PM

What is that?