Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: A humble question

M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
A: No it isn't.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!
A: Yes it is!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
A: No it isn't.

etc.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:51 PM

Default lol

Perfect.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I thought I said before, "Bet and its not thin" is saying a lot. And "bet with impunity" is saying a lot. Its saying bet and its not close. Now if I were a beginning player that would immediatly click in my head that ok obviously betting is right. I dont think you need some long winded response to make a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you get this point by now, but "bet, it's not close" doesn't mean anything unless the beginner does some extensive research on the boards to see if the guy saying this is good and respected. And even then, he still might be wrong. It seems these kind of answers are meant for the other experienced players who read the board, and not for the guys who could actually learn something.

If I were a beginner who told "easy bet" twice, and then one guy saying "I'd check", nothing would click anywhere. It would be better than nothing, I would get a vague idea, but if people pointed out why they thought it was a bet or a check in a simple sentence, I might actually become a better player from three or four responses.

Surely you can see that the difference is significant.

I am claiming no moral high round or anything since I hardly ever contribute to threads or post hands, and like I said posting is almost always better than not posting. I just wanted to say that there is obviously a big difference between giving reasons for your thinking and not giving reasons for your thinking on a board designed for improving as players. (doh, right?)
Old 12-04-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why bother to respond if you're not going to explain why you would either bet or check behind? What value is there in just saying do this or do that if no reason for the action is given? What will the poster learn from these answers and how will this help any of us improve our poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I discuss hands with other players, I often ask them "do you bet or check" and they respond "bet" (or check, whatever). If I need further explanation, I ask for it, if I don't I nod and move on. Sometimes just knowing what someone else would do in the same spot is valuable, and a long explanation is not necessary.

The OP in the other thread didn't ask for clarification, but I and the other respondents would have posted some if he had asked for it. As it is, he didn't so we didn't.

My laconic reply was because I felt the arguments for checking or betting were obvious (including to the OP, given his phrasing "is this too thin"). Therefore all responses would boil down to a one word opinion.

I guess I came to this party pretty late, but I just wanted to put my .02 in. Take it for what its worth.