Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 PM

Default 99 donked - checkup

The cast:
MP has been playing very solidly, I've been observing his play for about 6 rounds. I just finished typing a note that says "overly tight for LHE 6max(?)." Statistically, he's about 24/14/2, but gives up his blinds way too frequently, and his AttSteal is only about 20% so far.

This could be due to the SB, who is a pretty big donkey(60/8/1.1). He's been running good and is sitting with about 100BBs at the table. He's basically calling everything, then calling down with any shred of a hand, occasionally taking shots at people he perceives are capable of folding (me).

A couple of questions about this hand:

1) raise preflop? I didn't raise because I wasn't too sure about my hand against MP and didn't want to bloat the pot so much that I couldn't blast MP off overcards on the flop if SB came out gunning on a favorable flop.

2) Raise the turn? If my pair were bigger and fewer overcards could beat me(e.g. QQ or maybe JJ), I would call here and let this donkey hang himself. As it stands, I thought raising this turn donk was the way to go.

Absolute Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>..
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: 99 donked - checkup

I 3-bet that preflop everytime, and since it's headsup on the turn I'd probably just call down. There's a very good chance he paired his K.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: 99 donked - checkup

You gotta raise preflop. 99 is a strong hand, especially 3 handed.

If the SB likes to donk bet, punish him for it. Raise the turn. Train the monkey to stop. The king on the turn really isnt that big of a deal, since these types donk with any piece often.