Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 03:11 AM

Default True or False

True or False
If you can't beat bad player's (play chips), how can you expect to beat good ones (real money)!!!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: True or False

Ha, this actually would have been a good poll.

It's true though. Only people that don't understand what poker is about would argue otherwise.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:51 AM

i say FALSE.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:30 AM

You will hear many people say that it is hard to beat novice players that don't act "like they should", but of course the statement you present is true.

You should be able to consistently beat play money tables before you are able to beat real money tables.

A player actually beating real money tables would be able to sit at play money and become a winning player at it, though some adjustments would be required.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:23 AM

True. But if you play the right sites, you tend to find bad players with real money.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:22 AM

True, but you can't use the same stragies in both arenas. People often try to use the same techniques to beat a bad player, as they would a good player...and thats just wrong. And thats when the statement becomes false.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:14 PM

While I agree it's prudent to be able to beat play money games consistently before risking real money, I don't agree that playing for real money is necessarily harder. A natural Poker player plays much better with real money, and better yet at higher stakes. Most people play worse the higher the stakes.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:45 PM

Having recently made the transition from play money to real money, I have to say that the low levels of real money are easier than the high levels of play money. You actually have to be pretty good to turn 1000 play money chips into enough to throw 50000 at each tourney. Further, there's no bubble in play money, so a lot of intimidation techniques from real money just don't work.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I agree it's prudent to be able to beat play money games consistently before risking real money, I don't agree that playing for real money is necessarily harder. A natural Poker player plays much better with real money, and better yet at higher stakes. Most people play worse the higher the stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
interesting
Old 11-13-2005, 01:10 AM

Deffinatley has to be true, though to play well with play money you need a much tighter style than with real money to counter the loosness of the tables.