Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 08:12 PM

Default zuluking gets his Black Belt in Karate (long but I need to type this)

The test began last night with the 1-mile run. I had 8 minutes and did it in 7:45. This was followed by push ups and sit ups. 50 each in a minute each. No problem. Then was stand-up self defense. Grabs, chokes, take downs, etc. Smooth sailing for me.

Then came grappling, or Ju-Jitsu to some people. I breezed through the positions of advantage and their submissions, but then came my moment to grapple Sensei David, a 2nd degree black belt. We had 2-3 minute rounds. He basically gave me a butt kicking on the ground. But I survived, even holding my own at times and we moved on to sparring.

3-2 minute rounds, full contact. My first opponent was Sensi Pablo, a 3rd degree black belt. We were about 30-45 seconds into the round, and I was holding my own, if you call getting kicked in the stomach a few times holding your own. But I did manage to get a few strikes in, until "the kick".

My hands were already starting to feel heavy from the 16 ounce gloves and I dropped my left hand just a bit. WHAM! He caught me with a roundhouse kick to the temple sending me to the floor out cold. I don't know how long I was out, but the next thing I know my Shihan (Master) is asking me where I was, my name, etc. I somehow convinced him I was okay (I wasn't) and the round continued.

The whole dojo was a whrilling, spinning, blurry mess. Sensei Pablo knocked me around and down to the mat 3 more times before the round ended. I had 1 minute to recover and get my head straight for round 2.

Sempi Sebastian a 2nd degree Black Belt. This time I was up against speed, not power. My head was still spinning, but I managed to smack or kick him 1-2 times for every 10 he hit me. The round ended and I almost threw up (really). 1 more minute to recover and the final round.

Sensei Robert a 2nd degree Black Belt. A big, brusing, hulk of a man. I'm 6'1", 225, he easily outweighs me by 40 pounds standing 6 feet tall. I don't remember much of round 3, I did manage a few well placed side kicks and knee strikes on Sensei Robert, but of course, I hit the mat 3 or 4 times as he smacked me around.

The round ended, the Black Belts cheered for me, and a doctor came over to check me out. He said I probably had a mild concussion (mild?!?!) and I told him I didn't care. Sparring in a Black Belt test is more about character, not quitting, not saying "I give" more than anything else, and I didn't quit.

This morning was the 2 hour written test and I nailed it, only missing 2 questions. Then came Katas, which I aced. Techniques followed, and I aced those too. Then came falls and rolls, board breaking, and the test was over.

During board breaking I tore some tendions in my elbow, but at the point I didn't care, and its nothing a sling and some bourbon can't take care of.

I'll recieve my belt Wednesday night. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: zuluking gets his Black Belt in Karate (long but I need to type this)

Newfant congratulates you.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: zuluking gets his Black Belt in Karate (long but I need to type this)

congrats!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: zuluking gets his Black Belt in Karate (long but I need to type th

I don't really understand how you can get a black belt and get raped by people in the tests?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:18 PM

I hope you wear your uniform and black belt while going about your daily business downtown and such. If you dont, it seems a bit like a waste.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:19 PM

My black belt tests were probably the hardest things I've ever done in my life. Congrats.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:21 PM

Kind of like how you can graduate from college without being smarter than your professors.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand how you can get a black belt and get raped by people in the tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

The sparring part of the test is designed for you to fail. They are 2nd and 3rd degree Black Belts who are fresh. I'd already been working out for 2 hours by the time sparring came around. Its a test of character and survival, plus a rite of passage.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 PM

Congrats dude.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-01-2005, 08:28 PM

No mercy.