Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:46 PM

Default all in question

short version:
I don't play many tournaments and very little no limit, so just pushed.

long version:
still early (just after the first break in a party WSOP sat. Top six get paid, top three get seats. blinds were 25-50. I had ~4500. opponent had ~2000. I get AhQh in late position. opponent opens for 160. (he'd played some marginal holdings, but I haven't been at this table long enough to get a good feel for his play). call, fold or raise?
<font color="white"> I called </font>

two to a nine high flop with two hearts. Opponent bets out 200. call fold or raise?
<font color="white"> I call</font>

turn is an A. Opponent bets the pot. call fold or raise? as the short version says, I pushed in.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: all in question

my actions are in white below each street, and the result has nothing to do with my motivation to post the hand. I decided to post it as soon as the flop came down because I was 2 for 2 on streets where I didn't know what the correct play was.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:02 PM

I think you can make an argument to either raise or call with AQ in late position against a somewhat LAG opponent. You probably have the best hand, which would suggest raising (to around 400). Or you could just call and see a fairly cheap flop with position. For me it comes down to whether or not I thought a raise could win the hand pre-flop. If he has a marginal hand will he fold to my raise.

The only way you're behind on the flop is if he has a set, AA, KK, or QQ. Anything else and you're about even money with 2 overs and the nut flush draw (15 outs). I'd prefer to win the hand on the flop then hit a blank on the turn and be forced to make a more difficult decision as an underdog. A normal raise would be to around T800 and if he calls he'd only have T840 left. So if he re-raised I'd have to call. And if he pushed the turn I'd have to call even if the turn was a blank. So, I'd push the flop. That's often read as being on a draw so he might call but you're most likely even money getting pretty good odds.

On the river, you probably have the best hand. The question is whether or not he'd call you with the second best hand if you pushed. I think he folds unless he has a set or two pair so I'd just call his bet.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:10 PM

I thought about pushing on the flop, but, given the stack, I think it would have been an overbet and easily smelled out as a draw. the hands I'm really in trouble against will likely call a flop all in (except for AK), but the hands I want keep in (AQ, AJ, A10) will probably fold. I wanted to extract more/lose less if possible, so I waited until I saw what the turn brought. At that point, and given his turn bet size, I though pushing in was right. too much ring game thinking?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:29 PM

You think AQ-AT would call a raise on the flop (assuming not hearts). I don't think so. I think they'd lead out but they won't call even a normal raise and I think they'll check the turn unless they hit top pair. The reason I push instead of just raise (and I thought about the point you mentioned before deciding) was because of his stack size. I don't think it looks like a huge overbet because if he's thinking he understands that a normal "protecting my hand" type of bet leaves you pot committed if he pushes so it makes sense that you push first. But I did think about just raising. I never thought about just calling. I'd prefer to win on the flop then see a blank on the turn, have him push, and have a more difficult decision with only 1 card to come.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think AQ-AT would call a raise on the flop (assuming not hearts).

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I meant that they would not call a raise on the flop and that I want them in there. Also these hands suited in hearts aren't there since I have the ace of hearts and queen of hearts. I was trying to goad him into betting the whole way by just calling.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 PM

I understand. I think it comes down to whether or not you think you have the best hand on the flop, or think that his hand is weak enough that you can raise the turn and get him to fold. You have to weigh the possibility of him having AJ-AT, maybe KQ, versus having AK or a pair and not folding to a raise on the turn. I think he's more likely to have AK or a pair then AJ-AT, KQ. So he's ahead of you on the flop and your goal is to get him to fold the best hand. I'm not trying to goad him into betting unless I think he'll fold to a push on the turn.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Haven't read the other replies, but I call preflop and raise the flop. You have 9 outs to the nuts, with as many as 15 possible outs to the best hand. You also want AK to fold here if that is what you're against, since you have a ton more outs against a PP.