Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Beating cats

[ QUOTE ]
So after a while of discussion and such I've agreed to let my girlfriend have her cat come to live with us. She's agreed to take full care of it (meaning that I have no cat responsibilities what so ever). The issue is that I'm alergic to cats and otherwise have no problem with them, but certainly don't need some cat driving me crazy while I'm trying to work. I don't care if the cat is living with us as long as she keeps it and the house clean of cat hair and such. And I do not want this cat coming in to my office and bothering me while I'm working. I basically don't want the cat near me but I also don't want the cat to run and hide in terror every time it sees me. How do I train the cat to leave me alone but not fear me? The only way I can come up with to keep it away from me it to give it a good, savage beating. However I don't want to hurt the cat, the girlfriend would get pissed, and the cat would forever fear me. I just need to get it accross to this cat they we can have a good "don't mess with me; I won't mess with you" relationship. Any help here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most cats will just act like that.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 AM

i was really hoping that this thread was about beating cats.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 AM

Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This picture actually made me say "Awwwwww" It gets the ever coveted swing my thing award
Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Solved your problem

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen very few living things as ugly as those cats. And most of the others were hairless cats as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so too until my wife got us one. Those cats are freaks. More like dogs in many ways.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
The rules we set before I agreed to let the cat move in were these:
1) Not allowed in the bedroom or the my office. Ever.
2) The cat must be bathed regularly.
3) The house must be kept clean of cat hair. I agreed to buy a Roomba to help with the cleaning.
4) Cat litter must be kept in order. I agreed to buy a littermaid to help with that.

You don't really know anything about cats, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

He really doesn't know enough about deals with spouses/SOs when it regards and animal in the house. First week everything will be perfect, next week the litter box will not be cleaned and the cat bath will be put off. It will continue to get worse untill you tell her it is the cat or you. Be sure you have some where to go.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
The rules we set before I agreed to let the cat move in were these:
1) Not allowed in the bedroom or the my office. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You have obviously never lived with a cat before! LOLOL!! They are smarter than you think. I'll just leave it at that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 PM

You can keep a cat out of a room, but you have to live with keeping the door closed at all times. And your spouse has to live with respecting your wishes, which people are often too perverse to do.

Think of an atheist marrying a Christian, and their agreeing not to teach the kid anything religious until he's old enough to have some comprehension in making a choice -- let's say 12 years old. I've heard of numerous people doing that.

Guaranteed the Christian is teaching the kid about god and scaring it to death with warnings about hellfire right away, on the sly.

Some promises people are very capable of making but completely incapable of keeping.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 PM

Default UPDATE

Well, it's been a few weeks now and I thought I'd let you all know how things are going. We got an Ionic Breeze for the living room. It's been working quite well for my allergies. I also got a small(ish) NeoTec air purifier for my office. It's more to combat my smoking then it is the cat, but I have remained safe and sound from smoke and cat stuff while in here. The Roomba I'm buying as a household gift for Christmas.

As far as the cat is concerned, we have a fairly decent love/hate relationship. He got squirted with water frequently over the first week. Since then he's developed a a good understanding that he is not allowed in the bedroom or my office. In addition to that he stays off of the counters for the most part and doesn't sit in my spot on the couch. I found that the combination of being squirted with water and some harsh sounding choice words now conveys the message to him as to what he's not allowed to do. Overall I feel he's getting the picture of the house rules. He likes me but respects me as well and knows when he's about to get the hose. I'm thinking with a little more time he'll be done with breaking the rules or at least not do when I'm home.

As far as my girlfriend's house keeping goes, she's doing an okay job so far. She's backing me up in the rules for the cat and also will squirt him or raise her voice to him if he's doing something wrong. I didn't purchase a self-cleaning litter box because she said that she would maintain the one we had. So far she's done a good job with that. She has also kept up with the vacuming and even busts out a lint roller to remover cat hair from the furniture frequently. She needs to improve on bathing the cat more often, but I feel she's getting better and more understanding of my needs. The first couple days were really hard on my allergies, and she felt terrible about that. I told her it's not her fault, but in return she's mostly keeping up her part of the deal.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: UPDATE

Your allergies should die down considerably after living with the cat for a while. (You'll still be allergic to other cats though, exactly why, IDK.)