Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:03 PM

Default 5/10 high: Maniac with an ace, moron with queens?

Seat 6 was the closest I've seen in stud to a true maniac. He wasn't playing every hand but he did go nuts with _most_ of his hands, especially with the highest card showing.

7 Card Stud ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (9.90 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (6.45 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (10.45 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (12.45 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (12.45 BB)
Old 10-14-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: 5/10 high: Maniac with an ace, moron with queens?

Looks to me like you played it pretty well. Waiting till 5th to raise seat 3 out was a good plan. On 5th, he is getting 8 1/2 to 1 if you only call, & 5+ to 1 if you raise. You don't want to give him a cheap card here to let him draw out on you, & if he lays down J's up (not likely), you have really improved your chances.On the river, the check/call seems like a good option. The check may encourage the fool to bluff at you with nothing. If you bet, he may fold with nothing or raise with 2 pr, & you will have to pay him off. Good job.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:59 PM

You missed a river bet. If he is a maniac, he woulda splashed the hell out of dry aces on 5th street. He probably bets out w/ 2 pair on the end also and will definitely call with less than one pair of aces. I fire again and see what it collects against this opponent. The other streets are played perfectly.

Jeff
Old 10-14-2005, 04:01 PM

I like the isolation raise on 5th. Against these descriptions, I'd bet the river. If he is a maniac, don't you think you're ahead at least half the time on the river?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:10 PM

I probably put in my isolation raise on fourth, not fifth. Unlike Jeff, I don't bet the river with just one pair, but his point makes some sense. On the other hand, I've found even some maniacs will go passive when a solid player shows aggression -- so while it's unlikely he has aces, he may have small two pair. Or be laying in the weeds to c/r, which you will have to pay off.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:21 PM

You have to be ahead more than 1/2 the time on the river for the bet to be best, if 1.He will sometimes bluff with nothing if you check. 2.He will bet 1 pr for you if you check. 3. He may not call with 1 pr if you bet.(this could be true even though he is a maniac.) 4.You have to call his raise, because be may be maniacal enough to bluff-raise you. I respect you guys opinions, but I still like the check. Tell me more, please.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 PM

I say bet. Everyone who is thinking about inducing a bluff missed that hero is last to act.
He will probably call with any pair, and he will have just that very often. It sucks to pay off a raise, of course.
How come you’re playing $5/$10 Bart?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:55 PM

I haven't moved that much money into Party yet after the skins split off. It's probably where I belong anyway [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 10-14-2005, 05:16 PM

Yup. I didn't realize that hero is last to act. Let's face it. I'm an idiot. LOL. The bet on the river is correct.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:47 PM

I think you played it fine. Maybe I'm just weak-tight, but I probably take the freebie on sixth as well as checking the river.