Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 03:58 AM

Default 67s vs eugeneel

Three handed 25-50 game- eugeneel in sb, me in bb.

Button folds, sb calls, I check with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

flop come 5 8 x, two hearts
sb bets,raise, raise, raise- capped at four

turn, blank
check, check

river blank
sb bets, I raise

what d'ya think?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Re: 67s vs eugeneel

I'd like to know what the other cards were; what look like blanks to you might not have looked like blanks to him.

I haven't played much with eugene but I think that after you take the freebie on the turn, he's going to be more than a little suspicious.

What, exactly, can you represent on the river?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:18 AM

You're investing 2 BB for the chance to win a pot of 4 BB. I don't think that the play will work often enough to justify that outlay against a good opponent who understands the mechanics of 3-handed play.

Or to ask a better question: if you were going to try this play, why wouldn't you bet the turn? It wouldn't cost you any more, and he'd be a lot more likely to fold without improvement.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 AM

I would bet the turn. I wouldn't take the free card, or I might call the 3 bet and raise whatever the turn is to disguise the fact that I have a monster draw, and maybe make eugene think that I have a real big made hand. In any case, I'm calling you on the river here with ace high. . .
Old 01-29-2004, 12:45 PM

Default what I had

LOL, that was a very funny hand.

That was the first time in that game (the game had 3-4 people in it) that I limped one on one in sb (did you catch this? if so why didn't you post is?). I almost never do this, but you respected my raises and folded to them more times than 95% of the players I play against. So when I got AA I just limped. I did cal the river and win the pot naturally.

By the way, how did you like that guy's comment? It was something like "Eugene makes this game not fun cause he raises too much preflop... since he obviously doesn't care about his money" I love hearing stuff like that from calling stations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Eugene
Old 01-29-2004, 01:47 PM

Yes- I think I played this hand very poorly. I should have bet the turn or folded the river. I also like the idea of calling the flop and raising the turn- except it should have been obvious that eugeneel had AA- like he said it was the only time he limped in the SB

A follow up question- is there a situation where you have played a hand this way- raise the flop, check the turn, raise the river (besides a made draw).
Old 01-29-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: what I had

Yes- that guy was definitely not used to playing short-handed.

I thought it was interesting that towards the end of the session, three handed, you moved from behind me to in front of me. I feel like your advatage was greater behind me, because I thought the SB was calling too much, which caused me to throw away more hands in the BB than I would have if he had folded. So you have my dead money in plus the SB in with a worse hand than an SB should have on average. When you moved in front of me- I can call a lot more of your raises (although I still folded hands with a 2 or 3 without a face card- which I seemed to get a lot of in this session- this might be a mistake against you). I suspect you moved because you thought you could steal my blind more often?

I do think that folding my BB too often against good shorthanded players may be a leak of mine. It seems to me that I can make it up because some of these guys say "he folds his blind sometimes, what a pushover" and then start bluffing their money off to me.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
river blank
sb bets, I raise

what d'ya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blech... it's just too obvious, especially against a guy like Eugene who obviously has a head on his shoulders in heads-up situations. If you think he's in the mood to fold a pair, call the 3-bet and raise the turn if it's a scare card (or maybe if it's not). Then you can take the showdown with a 6 or 7. Of course many players will never fold a hand they 3 bet the flop with out of position.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: what I had

I think you might be right and I did make a mistake. The reason I moved was that I really liked it when that guy limped in against me heads up when he was sb and I was bb.

Unfortunately I didn't catch much against him.

I do like raising your bb a lot more when I am in dealer's position and u are bb so I suppose I should've stayed where I was, but generally I always sit to the left of the bad player.