Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Stealing Blinds - Comparing Stats

My ROI has greatly improved since I ramped up my aggression when shorthanded. Just wanted to compare stealing blinds stats with some other players. These are all from 250 of the $10s and I dont have enough $20s logged to really do a fair comparison.

Results from Pokertrack (all hands between 4-6 players)
All of these are my steal attempt stats when in SB or Button and it has been folded to me.

SB
Steal Attempted 48%
BB Folded 74%
Won when called 48%
BB won per steal attempt 0.13BB

Button
Steal Attempted 27%
Blinds folded 70%
Won when called 48%
BB won per steal attempt 0.34BB

My steal attempts have gone up over the last 125 games and the number of times Im called has dropped. Probably alot of variance in these numbers but thought it might be interesting to compare.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Stealing Blinds - Comparing Stats

[ QUOTE ]

SB
Steal Attempted 48%
BB Folded 74%
Won when called 48%
BB won per steal attempt 0.13BB

Button
Steal Attempted 27%
Blinds folded 70%
Won when called 48%
BB won per steal attempt 0.34BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something interesting, if you push 48% of hands from sb and bb call top 26% of hands, how could you win 48% of time if called? I think the number should be a lot less, isn't it? Same thing for button. Is it just because the sample size or I miss something? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

One possible exlaination is that your opponent's calling standard is shaky. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM

If your hot and cold understanding is much better than your opponents', your 48% push hands may very well match up well with your opponents' 26% call hands.

For example, if you include K-5s but exclude J-8 from your steal requirements, while all of your oppoenents are calling with J-10o as part of their "top 26%," you can see some skewed results. That may be what's happening. Of course, it's still more likely that it's all just statistical noise.

Irieguy
Old 12-14-2004, 10:47 PM

I think its a little of both. Over 250 sngs I only played a little over 1000 hands short-handed (4-6 people). This is also from the 10s. I have found that the party 10s overvalue certain hands like QTo, JTo, KTo, KJo. I get called alot by these types of hands when pushing. What is interesting is from my first 125 sngs to my last 125 sngs I have increased my aggression. My SB push increased by 9% and Button push increased by 5% but my won flops when called stayed at 48% for both. Again this may be nothing more than variance over a small sample size.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:03 AM

It would be much clear if you compute standard deviation or confidence bound for those numbers so that you can skip those numbers that is not statistical significant.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 AM

I just pulled them out of pokertracker. Was more interested in how they compare to other players. I would have no clue how to compute standard deviation for those numbers. I have enough trouble getting my $5 Kmart calculator to work.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:54 AM

Yet you can beat those games can't you! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I have never use pokertracker that much after some initial frustration. But I never realized that you can pull up these useful info from that. Maybe it's time to upload the handhistory again. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 11:04 AM

I dont know how useful this info is. Was curious to see how I compare to others. Am I over aggressive or too passive. I just use the hand filters in the tournament dbase under in the known starting hand area. You can create some good filters in this section.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:42 PM

Interesting stuff, never played with those filters... Glad I am now..

Stats for December, (~400 tournies, and an atrocious 6% ROI)

SB
Steal Attempted 50%
BB Folded 71%
Won when called 51%
BB won per steal attempt 0.14BB

Button
Steal Attempted 33%
Blinds folded 68%
Won when called 51%
BB won per steal attempt 0.26BB

Gonna keep playing with this, hopefully I can pinpoint what it is, exactly, that's holding me down as of late. Out of curiousity, what is your overall BB/Hand 4-6 handed?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:50 PM

My overall BB won per hand is .02 . Interesting that our steal stats are fairly close. I know Im missing some button stealing opportunities. I hope to get this number up in the near future. Looking at all my steals the biggest leak I have is pushing weak hands into big and or small stacks. Ive made some really awful pushes into desperate small stacks and aggressive big stacks.