Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2003, 02:04 PM

Default My GC OIC 10-20 experience

I just cracked the $1500 mark in the GC OIC and played all of my 10-20 short-handed. Most of the time was 2 or 3 handed with the largest table played at 5 handed.

I just wanted to post to encourage anyone else who makes it to 10-20 to not be afraid to start a new table even if you do not have a lot of short-handed experience. These were the easiest short handed tables I have played.

None of the players I faced were very agressive. They raised very little throughout the hand. Little preflop raising and at the very least top pair if they raised after the flop. Many times not even raising with top pair. Most of the time calling or checking. A lot of pots I would bet with a bare A or K high on the flop then check it down and take the pot in a showdown.

In these games I think the best way to play is agressively, but not agressive enough that the other player catches on. Raise preflop only with hands that can win unimproved. Don't go crazy with bets and raises but do a lot of value betting. Bet the flop for free cards a lot, if they call on the flop, they will usually go to the river, so I tended not to bet the turn unless I had a hand that could also be value bet, like A high flush draws or gutshots.

My impression was that these players rarely bluffed or bet anything less than middle pair. They rarely raised preflop, so I folded to most bets and preflop raises because they never seemed to adjust.

I'll let folks know how the 15-30 games are.
Steve
Old 11-11-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: My GC OIC 10-20 experience

congratulations!

and a great review

sounds like you may revisit these tables after you win the challenge
Old 11-11-2003, 02:36 PM

Very nice trip report. Best of luck in the home stretch.

Cup
Old 11-11-2003, 02:45 PM

Well done Steve - good to see you doing so well.

I'm after a clarification on your preflop raising on passive shorthanded tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop only with hands that can win unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this do you only mean pairs, say 88 upwards or AK and AQ also?

Keep up the tidy work.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:08 PM

I would raise with more than that- A or K with a 7 kicker (maybe a 6 depending on my mood) or higher and just call in the SB with smaller kickers. I would also usually raise with QJ. This is one my favorite semi-bluff preflop raising hands because of the chance to bluff the A or K high flop or value bet a Q or J high flop. If a player folds too much preflop then I will also raise with my worst hands- 23, 52 etc.

If I am on the button with an A or K with small kicker in an unraised pot I would bet the flop if checked to me, then check it down if I don't improve.

By the way I'm not too worried with giving this strategy advice and having it used against me, as shorthanded strategy changes a lot with the players.