Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Lay down 99 here?

Its a PP $33

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t595)</font>
<font color="#C00000">BB (t4850)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG (t370)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Button (t2185)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop: (t300) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Turn: (t300) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

River: (t300) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Final Pot: t300

So me and the other shorty are playing for third obviously. But I started getting delusions about taking second if I double up against the midstack while taking a third of his. Its a weird spot for blinds - no SB here and the next hand the shorty will get hit for 300 with a partial SB after that if he loses. The converter is messed up here - I am the only blind and the mid stack raised to 600 putting me in if I called. Who calls here, who folds and why?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Lay down 99 here?

I love a call, a double up &amp; you do have a shot to comeback &amp; win. Unless this guy has proven to be tight, then I think it's a call.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:21 AM

I think it's a pretty easy call, but not necessarily because you're chances of 2nd improve dramatically (they do, but that's a secondary consideration). You have to factor in the times where the other short stack won't bust on this rotation, putting a lot more pressure on you if you fold this hand and don't double up. It's not just your chance at 2nd you're increasing, but your chance at 3rd as well. I don't think I need to mention the fact that 99 is a pretty sizeable favorite over the raiser's range here.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:34 AM

How has BB been playing? Is he playing like he wants to preserve the bubble? If not, I really don't like calling here. If BB calls (which he could easily do after you call) you're 9's shrink up big time against two hands. Button probably has something halfway decent against 9's (like two overs) and shorty's about to hit the blinds. Nines are a good hand but probably only a coin flip against the raise, with the possibility of a 2nd call behind you. I fold this here.