Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 02:18 AM

Default I am becoming Weak-Tight! Help me recover from 275BB downsing

Hi all, just little bit about myself before I get into real question. I am a Japanese native naturalized citizen of the U.S.. I spent my life in the U.S. since the age of 13. Now, I am a 28 years old. I work in retail and don't make much money. Lately, I am looking for some translation jobs for better pay and hoping to make that into full-time job. I have been playing poker for little less than 2 years, mostly live games but past 4 month I concentrated on online games for more consistant and higher earnings. I started from 1/2 then move up to 2/4 and it was all going well. I made about $1000/month, including rakeback.

Early last month, I hit the downswing, I mean the nasty one. I lost 275BB in 6000 hands. This was by far the worst downswing ever for me. I kept 500BB bankroll and I won some of my loss back in the last month so I do have enough bankroll to play at 2/4- about 300BB.

After the downswing, I reviewed my hand. I certainly made mistakes, but I did not find any major leak that would cause such a downswing. I think it was a combination of bad luck and bad play.

Here is my real question. Since my downswing and following small upswing, I am breaking even. Its about 10K so I can't say anything significant, but I did notice one major change in my stats- Lower WtSD% and higher WonAtSD%. My WtSD% dropped from 31-32% to 28.5%. My WonAtSD% increased from 50.5% to 54.5%. Honestly, folding too much was never my problem. I was actually working on tighting up my post-flop play, but I think this number is too low. I understand that stats based on 10K hands are statistically insignificant, but this number do worry me since that was the first major change I noticed after my downswing. I think I am becomming weak-tight. Anyone can help me to deal with this situation. I like to make poker into consistant mean of earning. It makes my job transition and life in general so much better. Also, if you have any question about myself to answer my question, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: I am becoming Weak-Tight! Help me recover from 275BB downsing

I've feel like I have been playing pretty weak tight also, my rememdy which is working so far is to drop down a level or two and just lag it up. It has given me that go for the throat attidude that is needed.
+ it is fun [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: I am becoming Weak-Tight! Help me recover from 275BB downsing

I'm on a -210BB downswing right now. Just gotta fight through it man. If you can keep your head clear and your emotions far away from the computer, you're fine.

Remember, downswings are only a past occurence.