Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Default AK: good raise & push?

Seat 1: UTG+2 ($4,010 in chips)
Seat 2: MP1 ($2,150 in chips)
Seat 3: MP2 ($12,289 in chips)
Seat 4: MP3 ($21,305 in chips)
Seat 5: CO ($6,195 in chips)
Seat 6: BN ($10,280 in chips)
Seat 7: SB ($3,830 in chips)
Seat 8: BB ($6,655 in chips)
Seat 9: Hero [K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($4,550 in chips)
Seat 10: UTG+1 ($8,683 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($150), BB posts blind ($300).

PRE-FLOP
Hero bets $1,200, 3 folds, MP3 calls $1,200, 4 folds, BB calls $900.

FLOP [board cards 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
BB checks, Hero bets $3,350 and is all-in, MP3 folds, BB folds.

SHOWDOWN
Hero wins $7,100.

----------

This is in Pokerroom's $40K guaranteed, a $22 with rebuys and addons. About halfway through the second hour.

MP3 was confused by my push and thought a long time before folding, and afterward asked if I had queens. Said he folded KK. I said kings no good. He thought my PFR was too big for AK. Finally convinced himself again that I'd had queens. I didn't dispute it the second time.

So, was my PFR too big? It's committing more than 1/4 of my stack, but with a lot of big stacks at the table I didn't want it to be too inviting. This was the first big hand to come my way in quite a while, and if it doesn't work out it probably doesn't matter too much whether I'm left with 3350 or 2950.

The push I don't think is really questionable. If either of the others has two spades, I want them to leave now. If I bet something like half the pot, MP gets decent odds for a spade draw, and if he calls BB gets fantastic odds for a spade draw. And if either of them raises I've put enough of my stack in that I'm calling anyway.

(For the curious, I just busted at the beginning of the third hour. I'd built up to about 9500, actually did get QQ against KK and got no help from the board. 266th out of 955, 130 will get paid.)
Old 07-30-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: AK: good raise & push?

I think the only problem I mite have here is that the pot is 3600 pre flop, and you bet all-in for $3400.. so if someone DOES have a flush draw..they are most likely to call anyway.

Given that the price is rite for them to call with a flush draw.. I prolly play it a bit weaker... to look for action.

Look at it this way... if they dont have a flush draw.. they wont call unless they have an Ace.. and your Jam might have priced them out of the market... so it seems at first glance that the jam only prices in the hands you want to fold, and it prices out the hands you want to call.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: AK: good raise & push?

If he thought you had QQ and he had KK, why didn't he push preflop?

I think your PF raise is fine and so is your push.

yabastid