Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:09 PM

Default 99- PF agro, more agro on flop, what to do???

SB is 20/8/2.0. No solid read on BB except he is VP66 based on 18 hands. Please comment on both pre-flop and flop. I raise UTG+1 with 99, fold to SB who raise, then BB 3-bets. Should I fold here? Also, I raise on flop, comes back to with almost cap, BB all-in. I am probably beat at this point, but BB is all-in and I am getting almost 1:12. What to do? your opinion?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls $5.50 (All-In), Hero ???
Old 10-24-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: 99- PF agro, more agro on flop, what to do???

I think you can call preflop when it comes two back to you, but understand that you are now playing this hand for set value most of the time. Of course the times you flop and overpair you will need to put in a raise, but I would be wary of continuing on past the turn if it was 3-bet by either sb or bb. When the flop comes K high you are now beating so little that you just need to give up and fold IMO.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 PM

Preflop: good raise, call.
Flop: no reason to raise this flop. Just about the only hand that you are ahead of preflop that a solid player with good raising standards will 3-bet out of the small blind is AK. When the K hits the flop you are toast. The raise might get sb to fold 1010, JJ or QQ but probably not. Fold the flop when it comes back capped. Your backdoor straight/possibility of hitting your set is not enough to continue here.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 PM

A number of factors make it difficult to narrow BB's range all that much, despite the prelop cap: He's the BB, he seems loose, he's mostly unknown, and he's short-stacked.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever thrown away a pocket pair preflop after already putting two bets in, and I wouldn't start here. I'm seeing a flop.

We're in an awkward spot on the flop, because, with that king on the board, we're an underdog to the TAG SB's likely 3-betting range, and we're first to act after BB, who will most likely be auto-betting his A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], his pocket fours, his aces, or his AK.

I think I like the flop raise. I mean, I'm tempted just to call and see what SB wants to do, but he did just check, which is a little bit encouraging, and if you just call, that's not the best way to encourage SB to dump his AQ, if that's what he's got, and by calling you would pretty much give up all hope of getting SB to throw away his JJ when that's what he's got, too.

SB's check/3-bet is really bad news. Getting 20:1, I'd call, hoping to spike a 9 on the turn or at least pick up a crappy flush draw. But since KK is a possibility and our backdoor flush draw is weak (especially versus two opponents), I don't think folding right away would be so bad.

Like I said, I'd call and see the turn, but I'm not happy at all when SB check/3-bets. The chances that he just has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and BB is just hoping for the best with his 22 seem pretty remote.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 PM

On flop, SB checks, loose/unknown/short-stacked BB bets. I raised because the pot is 13SB/6.5BB and thought it would be big enough to bluff. Now, if SB had AQs/JJ/QQ, he might call one bet or perhaps raise with JJ/QQ, but less likely to call 2 cold. I can bring to HU vs BB who could have anything. It was worth a try, but came back to me with re-reraise. The problem was, even then, I was getting almost 1:12 which is enough to draw to even 2 outer- assuming I get free river, which I admit, is very unlikely. So I fold, I think I made correct fold, but I saw 9 hits board on turn. It end up SB floped a set of 77 and BB had nothing. This hand just made me think little because...

a) I was ahead on pre-flop
b) I was correct that loose/unknown/short-stacked BB could have anything, in fact, he had nothing.
c) If 7 wouldn't hit on flop, my play probably worked. SB folds, HU vs BB and I win!- even without improving.

Thanks for your comment. I just needed to clear my mind and see what other players think of my play.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:58 PM

When you miss your set and a K comes on the flop, you can be 1000% sure that you're behind at least one of them. I can see wanting to isolate on BB, but I doubt that's going to work often enough to make up for the times that...well, this happens.

Even if SB doesn't already have a set of kings, you're not getting odds to draw to a 2-outer. So you fold the second time around.

EDIT: just read your results post, and I'm a bit suprised that SB 3-bet you with 77; were you raising a lot on this table? Either way, I still like just folding to the first bet...you're rarely going to end up in a situation like this, I think.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: just read your results post, and I'm a bit suprised that SB 3-bet you with 77; were you raising a lot on this table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that suprised me too. I mean...77. I was expecting AK/KQ/KK. I was stealing blinds a lot, but this time I raised from UTG+1, not from late position. Oh well... After I made my fold and saw result, this hand made me think little bit... actually a lot. Thanks for comments guys.